[Suggestion] Allow marking a thread as "read" from the "What's New" search results page

Enigma

I constantly return to the "What's New" page to read the forums. It would be nice if I could mark certain threads that I don't care about as "read" right from there without opening the thread and then returning to "What's New". It'd be analogous to the "Hide" button beside items in "Your News Feed".

Upvote 8
Clicking on the date of the last post made on the right hand side will mark the entire thread as read.

Not sure if that is adequate for your needs, but it works for me.

Clicking on the date of the last post made on the right hand side will mark the entire thread as read.

Not sure if that is adequate for your needs, but it works for me.
That's what I currently do, just ctrl+click to open a bunch of threads in new tabs, then go back through to close those tabs. But it would be more convenient to simply have a dedicated button to mark as read via ajax and have the thread disappear from the search results.

...But it would be more convenient to simply have a dedicated button...
Well, yes, it would be more convenient. I am just not sure if there is a need for a separate button for every thread in the new posts, and presumably other places.

I've been marking a thread as read without reading them about 1/week. I don't know how often others do that.

I'm curious what you would use as a dedicated button. Don't suggest the blue unread marker either -- using that behavior there would be dangerous, especially given the frustration a number of people have had with the thread title going to /unread.

I'm curious what you would use as a dedicated button. Don't suggest the blue unread marker either -- using that behavior there would be dangerous, especially given the frustration a number of people have had with the thread title going to /unread.
Well, I'm afraid that a double-click on the blue unread marker is the obvious choice for me.
Not sure what else you could use.

/SK

Oh, I don't know. I hadn't given it much thought, but perhaps something similar to the "Hide" button on Your News Feed items? Remember, this would only show up when doing a "What's New" search. Here's a few quick ideas brought to you by jQuery-fu. Of course the actual interface/placement would need some thought, but the idea is to be able to mark as read directly from the "What's New" results.

mark-read-01.webp mark-read-02.webp mark-read-03.webp

Here is an idea.

xenforo.mark.read.from.new.posts.option1.skip.webp

Clicking the red X would either unbold the post (ie. display as read, where bolded posts are unread) or some AJAX stuff would make the post go away.

This entire "SKIP" column could be hidden if people find it to obtrusive, but with one click this column could be displayed for those people that want to use this feature.

Love this :)

I like the visual suggestions too.. although I think the red x is way too large, the skip concept is great :)

Just for the record, I've been using the following User Script for this and I love it. You can use it in GreaseMonkey etc.

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           XenForo "Mark As Read" test
// @namespace      xf
// @include        http://xenforo.com/community/find-new/*
// ==/UserScript==

(function(){

$ = unsafeWindow.$;

$('li.discussionListItem').append('<div class="listBlock stats" style="width:80px;"><a href="#" class="MarkThreadReadButton button smallButton" style="margin-left:10px;">Mark Read</a></div>')
$('dl.sectionHeaders').append('<dd style="width:80px;"></dd>');
$('a.MarkThreadReadButton').click(function()
{
	var $listItem = $(this).closest('li.discussionListItem');
	var markReadUrl = $listItem.find('dl.lastPostInfo a.dateTime').attr('href');
	$.get(markReadUrl);
	$listItem.hide('fast');
	return false;
});

})();

I'd go with this:

View attachment 3059

But I think it's more suited as add-on tbh.
Way too bulky, IMO; we don't need a whole new column for a single button. All we need to do is replicate the handiness of vB's forum read indicators which you could double-click to mark the forum as read. Using the same technology, it would be nice if, as I suggested before, we could simply double-click the blue dot (which signifies an unread thread) to mark it as read.

Way too bulky, IMO; we don't need a whole new column for a single button. All we need to do is replicate the handiness of vB's forum read indicators which you could double-click to mark the forum as read. Using the same technology, it would be nice if, as I suggested before, we could simply double-click the blue dot (which signifies an unread thread) to mark it as read.
Both solutions have downsides. My example is more bulky, yes, but is very visible. Your example is not bulky, but not visible at all. The small blue dot is also more difficult to click than a button. So it depends on what offer you want to make and what your priorities are.

But again, I have a feeling this will not be a default feature any time soon unless an even better solution comes up.

Both solutions have downsides. My example is more bulky, yes, but is very visible. Your example is not bulky, but not visible at all. The small blue dot is also more difficult to click than a button. So it depends on what offer you want to make and what your priorities are.

But again, I have a feeling this will not be a default feature any time soon unless an even better solution comes up.
The feature isn't prominent in vBulletin either, and it's never been a problem; plenty of us knew of its existence (although, plenty also didn't). Not trying to play the "but vBulletin ... " game. I'm just sayin'.

The feature isn't prominent in vBulletin either, and it's never been a problem; plenty of us knew of its existence (although, plenty also didn't). Not trying to play the "but vBulletin ... " game. I'm just sayin'.
vBulletin.com (vB4) and vBulletin.org (vB3) do not have this feature. It must be an addon ?
My idea can't be seen as bulky. The entire column is hidden, unless the "Skip" feature is clicked.
Only then is the column shown.

Attachments

• xenforo.AJAX.skip.options.for.new.posts.in.a.column.webp
    xenforo.AJAX.skip.options.for.new.posts.in.a.column.webp
    85 KB · Views: 20

Here's another idea:
This "Skip" option would flow with the current popup nature of hovering over thread titles:
xenforo.inline.AJAX.skip.options.for.new.posts.webp

Mike:
This skip option would likely appeal to you.
You probably try to read "All the posts" here, but some threads, you know by the title, are not very important to you, especially because you are busy. You don't want to mark "ENTIRE FORUM READ" or "ENTIRE SITE READ" as you might skip an important post.
So what you would do would be to search for "New Posts", skip all the ones you dont want to read, and read only the good stuff ! (which varies depending how much time you have).

I like your idea Digital Doctor, good thinking. Just the red cross I would replace with my Mark read button and place it to the extreme right of the thread title column. I think that would be the cleanest solution.

Top Bottom