1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [Suggestion] Alert users when a new forum is created

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Enigma, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Just a thought. Add an alert for all users when an admin creates a new forum (that they have permission to see). It would add a nice touch and it would make sure people don't miss the fact that there are new forums to check out.

2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

The Alerts system is based on the principle that the users gets updated for things they participated in. I don't think they should get alerted for this. This would be better the everyone news feed [if it gets implemented] where it's appropriate.

3. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Pushing an alert to all members is really not what the system was intended to do. A news feed item or a notice would be more appropriate here.

4. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Okay, that's a fair point you make about reserving the Alert System for things the member has participated in, instead of letting other stuff get injected in it. It would also be a good counter-point to make on the other suggestion I just made. :)

5. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Hmm, okay, I can agree with that.

6. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

you could send all your users a mass e-mail via Personal Conversations and tell them about your new Forum. So they will have that information in their Inbox.
    http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-mass-pc-e-mail.2188/

7. MrBlubke

MrBlubke Member

I'm all pro news feeds/web feeds for forum changes/updates/posts etc

8. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I think it can be very dangerous if there are too many alerts. That thing is going to be going off on a constant non ending basis for some people.

Not this alert by itself alone but with all the things creating alerts it will be dinging a lot.

9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

So we are getting a notice system ;)?

10. MrBlubke

MrBlubke Member

I just noticed the forums already have an RSS-feed :) Awesome!
    (this would help Enigma I think since change adding forums would add to the stream, right?)
    (is there a general Forum RSS feed?)
    Can we get it similarly for threads in the thread list-view? or at least a 'follow thread' in the thread list-view?