Lack of interest [Suggestion] A top link on post #5 and below

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Chromaniac

On this forum we have 15 posts per page.

Some forums might have it higher (if there is an option provided in the backend).

It might be useful to have a go to top link in post number 5 and below for users who are scrolled down and quickly want to go to top using their mouse.

I understand that there is a scrollbar at the right. And most mouse have a scroll wheel. But still a TOP button is still popular and probably relevant on long pages!

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I want a top button in the postbit, personally. But I suppose I can just put it there myself, like I have on every other piece of forum software I've ever used.

Most keyboards have a button that will take you to the top of the page. And it really wouldn't be hard at all to edit the template to add a top button if you want one.

haha. yeah the home key. but hard to access if you are right-handed and are using the mouse to scroll on a page while reading.

i understand that this is pretty trivial to add manually (depending upon how easy it would be to add new stuff to a post body content).

Every single time this subject comes up someone tells me about the up-to-top home key. Well, I DON'T HAVE ONE.
emot-razz.gif
And I'm not going to waste my board members' time telling them to look for a home key that they may or may not have either.

I mean honestly, there are entire threads in here devoted to useless junk like... ok maybe I'd better not say, but ask for a top link to be put where it's actually needed - as opposed to where I have to scroll to find it, thus negating its entire purpose - and all of a sudden everyone's a purist. "Oh nooooo we don't need a waste of time and space like that. Just use that Home key that you don't have! Now, can we get back to my suggestion about applying the Theory of Relativity to Likes vs. Quotes vs. Post Count and displaying the results as a Flash pie chart in the postbit ?"
tongue.gif

On this forum we have 15 posts per page.
At the risk of sounding pedantic, it's actually 20 posts/threads per page.

My current forum software has a top link in every post and at the bottom of each thread page.
In 3 years I haven't clicked them once...

It's been 20 for a while, I changed my forum to match a while ago in preparation :D

With regards to the "Top" button, it would be fairly easy to achieve with code/template edits but I presume you would like to see it in the core?

well it is logical to assume that the number of posts per page should be customizable from the backend.

but one of the plugins video from kier showed, how a developer can create such a plugin. if i am correct.

but then, it could just be a demonstration of a feature that already exists in the software :D

if there are more folks who think it is useful. i never had it in vB. i have 10 posts per page so scrolling is less of an issue on my board. scrolling here made me think of this 'feature'!

well, we do have the "Paging", which is more or less some king of navigation "left-right".
Why not have a similar thing for going "up-down" on the screen ?

Just an idea which came to my mind......

It's been 20 for a while, I changed my forum to match a while ago in preparation :D

With regards to the "Top" button, it would be fairly easy to achieve with code/template edits but I presume you would like to see it in the core?

I don't need to see it in the core, but it would be nice if I didn't have to jerryrig the code myself, or wait for someone to submit it as a Mod. That's actually the irritating part - trying to figure out what code to put where.

Top Bottom