1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Move go to Top link above quick reply box

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Morgain, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Small edit.
    The go to Top link is very useful but it's lost down on the footer.
    Once I've finished reading a series of posts to change pages using all the top navigation options I have to either scroll UP manually, or scroll DOWN to the Top link.

Please reposition the Top link on the right - ABOVE the quick reply form. That gives the choice of replying or going to the nav area for another page.

Top link.jpg
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Morgain

4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Why.. when the whole point of it is for when you're at the bottom of the site, so it's there to jump back to the top :rolleyes:
  5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I have to agree. It's like the permalink, I think it looks better after the reply button rather than before the like link but it's a simple edit. Plus why clutter the bottom of the page with some 1999? when it's fine where it is. Personally, only lazy people want it a few inches up more (that sounds wrong reading it back *edit*) and I think clutter over a few inches isn't a great compromise. 2 pence and all that.
    Lisa likes this.
  6. Morgain

because the only way to get there is to look below the quick reply box and the breadcrumbs.
    m y members typically don't even know it's there,
    The footer bar is not a frequent use zone.

You can go to top via keyboard Home but an awful lot of users don't use keyboard commands at all.
  7. Shelley

They use the scroll button on their mouse though? there can't be any avoiding that if i understood correctly..
  8. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I use it a lot. Edit your site to suit.. but the standard is where it is... and since I'm pretty sure XF's byline isn't "designed to suit Morgain" I think it's fine where it is.
  9. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

10. Morgain

The standard XF is not set in stone so "where it is" does not rule out a redesign. If it were then this as a Suggestion thread would be completely pointless and illogical which XF never is.

As for XF being designed to suit me or any other single member specifically the idea is plain silly. This is a community.
    However the fact that XF is not ruled by any one person's preference, is no argument against that person's suggestion being a valid one.

Again this thread exists for (small) suggestions.
  11. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

then here's a suggestion for you. Try asking instead of stating how it should be. And quit the lectures, they're annoying and not a little boring.
    Kevin and Microsuck like this.
  12. Despair

Despair Active Member

I rarely use the top link because I guess I'm lazy like others said above to scroll down that extra bit. :p At the same time I don't think moving it above the reply area is the best place... Have you considered using this addon: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/go-to-top.1083/
    It kind of solves the issue with small go to top links that a lot of people rarely use for various reasons.
  13. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

I've been doing this for years. My users love it. I leave the default location alone and modify the templates to add it to each post. I've gotten so used to it, other sites just feel naked without it! :D

Steve F likes this.
  14. Shelley

Does the top link appear in every post?
  15. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

Who needs a top button everywhere apart from the one in the footer... when you can just scroll up like you scrolled down?
  16. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Because my users like it that way. And quite honestly, I do, too.