Suggest me a new phone.

maybe a blackberry is the faster mobile ever, or an iphone the app store is full of games, maybe my touch it has the best camera so far or ... ok!! i should stop i am not helping at all :censored:

Needing to update my current phone to one with more funcationality now my business is expanding,
Minimum:
Emails on the go
Secure password storage for customer accounts
Some sort of way to manage bills / money owed to me / others
Basic project management / status
Calenders

I have not needed or kept up with the latest phone technology, so what would people reccomend and why?
Cheers

I personally use a HTC Desire, slightly outdated now but still very good in its class, and can be picked up second hand fairly cheap...

I would recommend flashing the device with cyanogenMod which will also give you full root privlages.

With this you should be able to fulfil most of your criteria with apps ect

Not sure if this will do what you want:

287646.jpg

I personally use a HTC Desire, slightly outdated now but still very good in its class, and can be picked up second hand fairly cheap...

I would recommend flashing the device with cyanogenMod which will also give you full root privlages.

With this you should be able to fulfil most of your criteria with apps ect

HA Don't be fooled.

There is VERY little extra you can do with a fully rooted Android phone, TBH Android already covers most bases in terms of doing what you want. Rooting doesn't really make a blind bit of difference, sure you can debrand and remove some unwanted apps from the default install but you don't really get a great deal.

Yes you can flash the latest and greatest yes you can remove stuff you otherwise couldn't but on the whole none of it really makes a blind bit of difference. While we're on the subject cyanogenMod is probably one of the worst things you could flash onto your phone, it removes half the functionality, but makes it a tiny bit faster. IMHO especially with the new Android phones you don't have the same limitations that you were stuck with like with the Desire (I have a Desire BTW and it's been flashed countless times).

PEACE

edit: To add to this, the only useful thing I have achieved through flashing a custom rooted ROM on my desire is

a) being able to use Clockwork Mod
b) taking screenshots

HA Don't be fooled.

There is VERY little extra you can do with a fully rooted Android phone!

I totally Disagree, just as a basic example the default cache memory on the HTC desire is 30MB, but as standard on the Honeycomb release 25MB is already used making it impossible to install any app from the market that is over 5MB, with root access I could symlink my cache/download/ dir that the market uses to a folder on my SD Card now giving me 16GB of Cache available...

I have also been able to successful in installing a sshfs system that mounts a remote sftp dir into my SDcard effectively giving me 250GB of storage on my device (Though very slow to access on GPRS network)... None of this would have been possible without rooting...

Rooting gives you much more power but it is only as useful as you have use for it!

Galaxy S II blows all other phones out of the water.

thanks....I am getting one...this sold me.....

Audio
MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB
AMR-WB, WMA, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY, FLAC, XMF
Video
MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV, DivX, Xvid, VC-1
Recording & Playback 1080@30fps
Wow ...for real?
Question for you DI, I have to assume you own one of those...so I have to ask...does it support video out...

Question for you DI, I have to assume you won one of those...so I have to ask...does it support video out...

There is 1080p HDMI output via an optional cable (around £15) on the Galaxy S II.

I have the older original Galaxy S which sadly only has SD TV-out :<

Also if those formats are what sold you, most Android phones (Galaxy S II included) can also play MKV files (even with softsubs), which is a huge advantage over Apple phones to me. Really handy to not have to convert any videos you put on it :)

There is 1080p HDMI output via an optional(?) cable (around £15) on the Galaxy S II.

I have the older original Galaxy S which sadly only has SD TV-out :<

Also if those formats are what sold you, most Android phones (Galaxy S II included) can also play MKV files (even with softsubs), which is a huge advantage over Apple phones to me. Really handy to not have to convert any videos you put on it :)
:) :) That is one of the things about the iphone...I mean I am not going to get rid of it but....I have a phone that I rarely give the number out to that could be stand to be replaced and this would be perfect..like a little portable slice of heaven. The iphone doesn't support a lot of the stuff I want on the road with me but it has a lot of things I do like.

My list of things I want to be natively supported on a phone:

rtmp streaming (without jailbreaking and getting all hackish about life.)
flash
FLAC audio
hd video output

as far as I know apple is never going to support the first 2...and the third I have no clue about. :-/

YES HDMI!!!!! I wonder if it needs to complete a HDCP handshake for hdmi output to work?

The only thing that worries me is that I have no clue where anything is on droids, never have gotten a lot of hours or minutes playing around with someone else's either so I am knowing that still willing to try this phone simply for the formats for playback and the video output...lol and I don't even know anything else about the unit :)

This is a much better way of saying what I said and I fully agree with you, I could have put it better. Average Joe won't see anymore use from rooting :)

Same can't be said for the Galaxy S phones with stuff like Voodoo Sound and Voodoo Colour as well as ext4 lagfixes for the original Galaxy S, but for other phones that pretty much holds true.

This is a much better way of saying what I said and I fully agree with you, I could have put it better. Average Joe won't see anymore use from rooting :)
Sure you can. You are able to do full system backups plus the ability to run some apps that need root access. After having my N1 and constantly messing around with it, there is no way I would have a phone that is not rooted. I am currently a CM nightly crack kid on my g2x. I think I had this phone for less than a week before I rotted it and added a custom CM rom. Now I just need to score a non-us Galaxy S2 phone and I will be happy (for a little bit).

Russ

Sure you can. You are able to do full system backups plus the ability to run some apps that need root access. After having my N1 and constantly messing around with it, there is no way I would have a phone that is not rooted. I am currently a CM nightly crack kid on my g2x. I think I had this phone for less than a week before I rotted it and added a custom CM rom. Now I just need to score a non-us Galaxy S2 phone and I will be happy (for a little bit).

Russ
I'm not saying you won't get extra use but 99% of the general population aren't going to get anything additional to requirements, you don't really need the ability to do full ROM + data backups unless you're flashing it anyway.

I bought an iphone 4 just to test it.
I'm barely starting the research and I find it is missing some weird things.

When I miss a call, I want it to beep every X minutes until I silence it.
Apparently not possible !!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2607647?start=30&tstart=0

It's embarrassing it doesn't have this feature.

When you combine it with the "mute" everything toggle on the side that easily moves in my pocket .... this phone is dangerous !

Looks like their is a new app to do this but you have to jailbreak the iphone to get it.
It is a cydia app: Missed Reminder.

Top Bottom