As designed Submitting status updates - inconsistent

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I have found that the behaviour of submitting status updates in XenForo is slightly inconsistent and I'm not sure if it can be classed as a bug, or not.

It's basically this:
  • If I post on my own profile page, pressing Enter submits the profile post. It isn't possible to create a new line.
  • If I post on someone else's profile page, pressing Enter creates a new line.
The cause for this is highlighted in red:
Rich (BB code):
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id} == {$user.user_id}">
<textarea name="message" class="textCtrl StatusEditor Elastic" placeholder="{xen:phrase update_your_status}..." rows="3" cols="50" data-statusEditorCounter="#statusEditorCounter"></textarea>
<xen:else />
<textarea name="message" class="textCtrl Elastic" placeholder="{xen:phrase write_something}..." rows="3" cols="50"></textarea>
</xen:if>
One of the things the StatusEditor class does is submit the nearest form when Enter is hit. This is appropriate on the drop down status editor in the visitor panel (usually used to create quick status updates so submitting with enter is convenient) and appropriate on the Personal Details account page (there's no submit button) but I don't see why this would be appropriate on your own profile page status editor and not other member's profile pages.
I suspect it could be a good old copy paste bug.

I guess another explanation is, strictly speaking, one is a status editor and one is for profile posts... it amounts to the same type of content, but profile posts aren't limited to 140 characters, etc. so they are treated differently...

*shrugs*

Top Bottom