Users confused posting status updates instead to forum

why argue ?

when there are a few simple ways in order to improve this from a UI perspective....
Because there is no need for improvement, it's just a minority of the user-base that is not aware of its usage. If it were a problem, you'd hear many people complain... but it's not.

And let's not forget that this is a feature present in all (majority) of the other forum products too (free or paid).

It's happened a few times, but I don't consider it a problem. A quick answer is usually what is needed, profile posts are fine for that.

I recently converted from VB and a member was not sure if a profile post was a PM or a thread!
vBulletin had profile messaging too, and in an even more weirder format than XenForo. So your user being confused makes no sense... since he would have already used the same feature when your forum was vB.

vBulletin had profile messaging too, and in an even more weirder format than XenForo. So your user being confused makes no sense... since he would have already used the same feature when your forum was vB.

Was on VB3 and it either did not have that feature or it was not enabled.

Because there is no need for improvement, it's just a minority of the user-base that is not aware of its usage. If it were a problem, you'd hear many people complain... but it's not.

And let's not forget that this is a feature present in all (majority) of the other forum products too (free or paid).

I've been operating a forum since 2001, using the internet since 1990, and do consulting for multi million dollar apps to improve UI. With that said, I disagree with you. We had 39 posts of all ages during a small period of time "get confused". When users are confused, that's a problem. Finger pointing or stating the user needs educated doesn't change the fact they end up posting to their own profile rather than the forum. :) As you see, others like Post #28 and #26 are reporting it happens on their forums as well and they are reporting it. Shouldn't happen at all IMHO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom