Submit your site to the official customer showcase!

A couple of observations:

1. The default area for the site title on the thumbnails doesn't have enough contrast. It's very difficult to read anything on a light background, which a lot of the site thumbnails have. Having the current darker hover state as the default state would make everything a lot more legible scrolling the page.

2. There's no easy way to close the modals on mobile. You can't swipe them down, like the lightbox on the rest of XF, and there's no x in the corner. So if there's a lot of written content along with the thumbnail you have to find a tiny space that the modal doesn't cover and tap there to close it.

3. Being able to navigate from one site to the next with the keyboard keys or by swiping when the modal is open would make for a nice browsing experience without having to close and open each one manually. Or if there were some next and previous icons you could select.

I’m definitely reconsidering the available categories, based on what has been submitted so far.

Of course the balance will shift after I send out an email to all customers inviting them to submit to the showcase, as right now we only have entries for regulars on these forums, but I’d be interested to hear any suggestions for recategorisation.
[biased] An auto category would be cool once you have enough to fill it. [/biased]

On a separate note, I’m actually quite pleased with a tweak I made to the display today - I noticed that sometimes after a refresh it takes a second or two to load the showcase thumbnails, leaving an ugly hollow placeholder in the interim, so I put together some code that samples the image and then generates a series of gradients in CSS to represent the image before it loads - it’s almost a shame that the images have to load, because it’s really pretty!

View attachment 254357
This is really nice CSS in general. Maybe XFMG could make use of it.

Are you taking in consideration to add shuffle option for all these websites, or it will be first come first served.
If you add a shuffle option, which would probably be best as the default display, you could then add the specific filters I mention earlier (alphabetical, date, post count, etc.)

Last edited:
On a separate note, I’m actually quite pleased with a tweak I made to the display today - I noticed that sometimes after a refresh it takes a second or two to load the showcase thumbnails, leaving an ugly hollow placeholder in the interim, so I put together some code that samples the image and then generates a series of gradients in CSS to represent the image before it loads - it’s almost a shame that the images have to load, because it’s really pretty!
I think this change is having problems on iPhone. Maybe CPU or RAM related because my screen also dropped in brightness which sometimes happens when the phone is working too hard.

In the video you can see how choppy this tab is when I switch tabs and you can quickly see SynoForum’s thumbnail flicker at the end of the video. The flickering is happening often.

Attachments

Last edited:
Why we are tossing out ideas for categories, a ‘General Discussions’ would be great that don’t fill a niche.

@Kier This is unrelated but while you’re here…

I just noticed the members online widget on this forum doesn’t have the “…and X more” phrase like it normally does when there’s more names than the cutoff limit. Letting you know in case that wasn’t intentional.

Attachments

• 3E85944B-6B2D-49C8-BE2D-B034B0FAF02E.webp
    3E85944B-6B2D-49C8-BE2D-B034B0FAF02E.webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 15
1. In my opinion category names should be "Title Case" instead of "Sentence case".

2. Category suggestions:
  • Animals & Agriculture
  • Automotive & Vehicles
  • Arts & Culture
  • Education & Public Services
  • Entertainment & Media
  • Gaming & Esports
  • General & Broad
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Local & Native
  • Miscellaneous & Niche
  • Occupational & Industrial