Sub-Forum Manager

actually now that I think about it....lol we don't even know what it would look like with multiple sub forums of a parent one yet. I mean actually the way it looks it may be cleaner left the way it is. I didn't even stop and think before I first posted in this thread. My bad now that I think of it, I'm going to have to wait until they have a forum with at least two subs showing an example not that it matters as this I don't think qualifies for me anyways as a make or break scenario.
I see what your saying about listing though now and was misunderstanding the intended purpose of this.

Very interesting, I haven't had time to think twice about this in-depth. I like how it's collapsed, and accessible - still cleaned up. But I dislike it that it takes effort to just go to that sub forum. I don't know how I would like it, if I would want to show more than 1 level deep on the frontpage.

can you do a forum > sub-forum > sub-sub-forum demo video for us? :| or a live installation if possible? with tons of demo forums and sub-forums? :D

haha. the search feature is so mmm duh that it would be impossible for me to find it now! would look for it though. :)

i do know that there is one subforum on this forum currently. no sub-sub-forum though the last time i checked!

Very interesting, I haven't had time to think twice about this in-depth. I like how it's collapsed, and accessible - still cleaned up. But I dislike it that it takes effort to just go to that sub forum. I don't know how I would like it, if I would want to show more than 1 level deep on the frontpage.
Things we could use.
  • Customizable "Sub-Forum" icon for each parent forum. While i can physically just change the icon into whatever i want, i dont think i can make each Sub-Forum button display an icon that lets people know what kind of specific forums would appear if they moused over.
  • Option to show Sub-Forums in overlay or in main forum page.
  • Option for Sub-Forums to display in at least two different styles. Light, and Heavy.
  • Current overlay display would be considered "light".
  • A "heavy" display would include discussions/messages statistics and maybe icons.
  • I would hope that Xen comes with the ability for each little forum to have its very own icon, like in vB4.
  • What vB4 did not do is extend that functionality to Sub-Forums, at least not when displayed on the main forum page.
I would like to have my Sub-Forums all displayed in a neat little box right under their parent forum, with small versions of their original forum icons as well as abbreviated messages/posts stats.
While that is a lot of stuff to stick down there, there are vB mods that do this, and it does not look too bad. And thats within vB4's boxy plain looking design.
It would look a lot more elegant here.

On http://xenforo.com/community/, the info that shows as "pop up" when pointing the mouse on "sub-forums: 1" under Xenforo Bug Reports did not make it clear to me what the sub-forum was.

I went into the forum to see the subforum, after which I noticed the link below in the "pop up" was the subforum. I somehow did not look at it the first time.

It's actually quite obvioulsy there, maybe I had "link blindness" the first time I saw the "pop up" because the text "sub-forums" and the actual subforums links are seperated by white area and a line.

Making it more clear the text "sub-forums" is the header of the links below might improve usability.

This is obviously a very minor detail but wanted to report what I experienced exploring this great forum software.

This is what I would like to see for a subforum list.
View attachment 3163
Thats nice Jaxel.
How bout if you chop it at subforum 3 ad 8, and to the right of them where you have subforums 4,5,9,10 you instead have additional "Latest" teaser text?
I would love it if the "Latest" area culled not only the parent forum, but all the subforums.
That way the latest post could come from either the parent forum or from one of the many subforums.
Having multiple latest posts would be really neat, there was a vB3 mod that allowed that.

This is what I would like to see for a subforum list.
View attachment 3163

Yep I like your idea. One thing I know after running a board for the last 6 years is some people wont even look unless its right in their face and they certainly wont find that dropdown. I don't like the current drop down system on xenforo and hope this option gets implemented.
Theres actually a mod on VB4 that lets you list your subforums this way BUT it also lets you decide on how many columns to use, I prefer 2 columns myself.

Dunno if this is right place for this ... have visited several XF sites and would be a relief to be able to click collapse the bars for c ategories.
Some categories I'll never visit some rarely.
So I'd prefer to have the scrolling to get to ones I do like, reduced.

Dunno if this is right place for this ... have visited several XF sites and would be a relief to be able to click collapse the bars for c ategories.
Some categories I'll never visit some rarely.
So I'd prefer to have the scrolling to get to ones I do like, reduced.
Theres a modification released for this already.

Top Bottom