1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub-Domain or Folder ?!

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Samin, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Samin

Samin New Member

I have a question from those who are familiar with SEO things.

Well I want to know which one is suggested Sub-Domain or Folder ?! and I'm expecting to have good result in SERPs.

I must add that I'm planning to use my home page as article and review section.
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Samin likes this.
  3. Samin

Samin New Member

Oh thanks for the links but I can not convince myself which one is better for SEO purpose !
  4. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

5. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

A sub-domain will be viewed by the search engines as a different URL altogether.
    If your domain has good ranking, I'd opt for a sub-folder over a subdomain.

I don't buy part of this article..

does anyone have anything to back this up?
    Samin likes this.
  6. Samin

Samin New Member

Well I'm talking about new established website so it doesn't have any background till now.

About second part I do agree with you and that's the reason I feel confused :confused:
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  7. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

This is the best I could actually find: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=29f64a59ebe35d7a&hl=en

I've also read a few times that it depends on the content and interlinking between the main domain and the sub domain. Meaning, if you have a blog in a sub-domain and link heavily between it and the main domain, then Google will treat it as part of the main domain.
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  8. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Google's page rank algorithm is what you should be concerned about. Basically your rank goes up when other highly ranked sites publish your link. That means you need good content on your site that is worth linking to, and then you need to try to get published.
    Samin and jmurrayhead like this.
  9. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

I disagree with "page rank" is what you would be concerned on.
    On a new site, I'd go with subforums just to keep things tidy :)
    Samin likes this.