XF 1.2 Styles and Activity Phrases

Amaury

Note: this is on any version, but I had to choose.

I help DOTATalk, a XenForo forum. We use custom styles from here or I try to make my own style, which I'm terrible at, as I've yet to figure out the style variables like on vBulletin. :(

Anyway, my activity is always Viewing forum list, for some reason, even if I'm not on it. For example, if I'm viewing the forum Off Topic, it says Viewing forum list rather than Viewing forum Off Topic. However, if I look at someone else's activity and they're viewing a forum, it correctly shows as Viewing forum [Forum Name].

This is only an issue on non-default styles, not the default style, so it's definitely weird and I'm not sure what it could be. I mean, it's not anything major -- trivial at best -- but I figured I'd ask.

I know there's an anti-bump rule for suggestions because of the "If people are interested, they'll reply" statement. However, I'm not sure if that applies here; if it does, I apologize.

Anyway, I am still trying to figure out this weird behavior. I noticed that forums are actually not part of the problem; for example, if I'm viewing the forum "Super Fun Stuff," I will see on my last seem, "Viewing forum Super Fun Stuff." However, for everything else -- threads, latest content, conversations, profiles, etc. -- it's always, "Viewing forum list."

Like I said previously, though, this is only on custom styles or styles I try to make, so it's something in there. Let's say I'm viewing the thread "Let's Have Fun" on the default style and then on a custom style. This is what I would see when I bring up my member card or bring up my member card and then go to my profile:

• Default Style: Amaury was last seen: Viewing thread Let's Have Fun, A moment ago
  • Custom Style: Amaury was last seen: Viewing forum list, A moment ago

This is simply trivial, but I also feel that the user's location being accurate is important.

The style should have no effect.

Can you post a link to the site?

Edit: I just checked and it works fine for me in both styles when viewing the current visitors page.

The style should have no effect.

Can you post a link to the site?

Edit: I just checked and it works fine for me in both styles when viewing the current visitors page.

One of the other admins also noticed this, but one thing I noticed, which I believe I mentioned in the OP, was that it's only if I'm viewing my own member card or profile.

For example, on a custom style, if you and I were over there both viewing the thread Awesome and I pulled up each of our member cards or profiles, I would see "Viewing forum list" for me, but "Viewing thread Awesome" for you.

Another example: Here I am viewing this thread, but look at my location:
zcKiftx.png

Was this style created by the administrators or was it downloaded from here? Style shouldn't have any effect as Paul has stated. There's a possibility that someone has modified the member card to hard code activity.

Was this style created by the administrators or was it downloaded from here? Style shouldn't have any effect as Paul has stated. There's a possibility that someone has modified the member card to hard code activity.

From here; to be exact, Casual, Flexile, and Flexile Dark are our custom styles.

As for the hard-coded statement, would that be on the styles or the forum overall? Like I said, on the default XenForo style, this is a non-issue, so I'd like to guess it's the former. Also, it seems like it's some select individuals, which I explained in my previous reply. Like I was viewing a thread once, but another admin and I both saw my activity as "Viewing forum list."

So Jeremy said it sounds like it could a cache issue on my end...

Like I told him in the PC, I just find it very bizarre that if it's a cache issue that it's a non-issue on the default XenForo style.

Okay, so this is even happening when I create a new style that obviously replicates the default style in that it shows "Viewing forum list" for everything except forums, where it correctly shows "Viewing forum Forum."

What could the issue be? This can't be a cache issue like Jeremy mentioned if it doesn't happen on the default style that ships with XenForo, can it?

Edit: Well, now it's happening on the default shipped style, too. I don't understand, though. It still can't be an issue with cache, as I don't experience this issue here or on KH-Vids.

Edit II: I'm not sure if this would change anything, but back when it was on vBulletin, it had the same issue. This seems to tell me it's an issue with the server, maybe?

Last edited:
Really, really weird.

I was on a thread and hadn't done anything on the site for an hour. When I clicked on my avatar, my member card said I was Viewing thread [Thread Name], Today at 12:52 PM. When I reloaded the thread as a test, it said the same thing, except that it was A moment ago, obviously. However, once I went to the forum list and back to the thread, it was the usual Viewing forum list.

Can it be a cache issue? It never does it in sections (e.g., I'll always see Viewing forum [Forum Name] regardless of whether I reloaded the current section I was in or went to the forum list and then another section). Additionally, DOTATalk is the only place it happens, as I don't experience this issue here on or KH-Vids.

If it's only an issue on DOTATalk, then I really don't understand how it could be cache-related.

Top Bottom