XF 1.5 Strange server error when viewing a thread

I'm asking the host if they can get the stack trace and request state. The errors in the error log look like this:

[05-May-2018 00:10:28 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 86 bytes) in /home/site/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 304
[05-May-2018 00:11:47 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 80 bytes) in /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 1193
[05-May-2018 00:35:50 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 82 bytes) in /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 1193
[05-May-2018 00:36:18 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 1185
[05-May-2018 00:37:17 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 80 bytes) in /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 1193
[05-May-2018 00:37:22 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 80 bytes) in /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 1193

PHP's fatal errors are generally useless, unfortunately not much can be said about what's happening. It's only evident that it relates to retrieving (presumably) a large amount of data from MySQL. 64mb is not all that much. You could try increasing your limit and see if that helps.

To increase the limit, edit the library/config.php file and add the following:
PHP:
ini_set('memory_limit', 256 * 1024 * 1024);

I'm just afraid of putting a bandage on a bigger underlying issue. And I'm not sure if any of those errors have anything to do with the problem I'm experiencing above.

The last time I had something similar to this happen where a thread was displaying an error like this it was due to a corrupt post or attachment that I had to go in and delete - that was years ago though, and I can't even remember if it was a XF error or VB error.

I just loaded that change you suggested and the pages are loading now in that thread. I cleared ACP errors and will monitor new ones to see if the problem is fixed. If necessary I'll come back and post stack trace and request state.

Thanks for the help ozzy47.

No more errors in the error log file today, but I am still getting these "prepared statement needs to be re-prepared" errors in the ACP log.... can't seem to get rid of them - they must be something different:

Error Info Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Prepared statement needs to be re-prepared - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Generated By: user, Today at 9:29 AM
Stack Trace #0 /home/site/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /home/site/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /home/site/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(825): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('\r\n\t\t\tSELECT cac...', Array)
#3 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/PermissionCache.php(27): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchOne('\r\n\t\t\tSELECT cac...', Array)
#4 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Visitor.php(237): XenForo_Model_PermissionCache->getContentPermissionsForItem(28, 'node', 216)
#5 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Model.php(543): XenForo_Visitor->getNodePermissions(216)
#6 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Thread.php(855): XenForo_Model->standardizeViewingUserReferenceForNode(216, Array, NULL)
#7 /home/site/public_html/library/EWRporta/Block/RecentThreads2.php(34): XenForo_Model_Thread->canViewThreadAndContainer(Array, Array)
#8 /home/site/public_html/library/EWRporta/Model/Blocks.php(135): EWRporta_Block_RecentThreads2->getBypass(Array)
#9 /home/site/public_html/library/EWRporta/ViewPublic/Custom.php(71): EWRporta_Model_Blocks->getBlockParams(Array, 1)
#10 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/Abstract.php(229): EWRporta_ViewPublic_Custom->renderHtml()
#11 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/HtmlPublic.php(71): XenForo_ViewRenderer_Abstract->renderViewObject('EWRporta_ViewPu...', 'Html', Array, 'EWRporta_Portal')
#12 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(607): XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlPublic->renderView('EWRporta_ViewPu...', Array, 'EWRporta_Portal', NULL)
#13 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(158): XenForo_FrontController->renderView(Object(XenForo_ControllerResponse_View), Object(XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlPublic), Array)
#14 /home/site/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#15 {main}
Request State array(3) {
["url"] => string(25) "http://www.dsmtuners.com/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Here are the settings, which were increased a little while ago... what would a good setting be for each:

table_definition_cache = 1024
table_open_cache = 3512

Top Bottom