• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Stop Forum Spam

I want to say there used to be a way to download the SFS database to check it locally. Can't quite remember, but I think the idea was pulled for a bit because of the bandwidth. That way people could check the DB locally and not be in any legal trouble.

Looks interesting, but every forum I see with Stop Forum Spam ends up blocking me for no reason, I guess it's because I live in Costa Rica and my freaking ISP uses IP's from Guatemala. Otherwise, this would be great for me.

Looks interesting, but every forum I see with Stop Forum Spam ends up blocking me for no reason, I guess it's because I live in Costa Rica and my freaking ISP uses IP's from Guatemala. Otherwise, this would be great for me.

Lucas, go to stopforumspam.com and search your username (Lucas), your IP, and your Email. If it appears, that'd be why. Not sure if they'll take it out, but you could try.

Yeah, none appear there, yet when I joined two other vB4 forums who have this system enabled, it wouldn't let me register.

That's odd, and most likely due to something other than SFS or the plugin is defective.

This helped protect my forum from spam when it was using vBulletin.

Downloading and installing now. Thanks!

What's the best way to check what affect this is having? Is there a log of some kind?
Not at this second, no. I feel the stop of spam (if noticeable), at some point is enough.
I find the vB log useful when someone contacts me that they are not a spammer and have been blocked.
Maybe they just shared the same reported ip address.
Having the log allows me to create a username on their behalf.

From the mod over at vBulletin.org , there was a report list of the number of spam bots that tried to register but failed.

@King Kovifor,

Does your add-on do the same?
No. It just does the checking at this time.

I use SFS on my SMF for a SSS (smooth sailing site) and I have to say it is SHS (s**t hot software)!!!

I will be trying this out for my new XenF site because I really like the service and for me it works!!

I have the zip now but not sure where to install all of it or more precisely where all the pieces of it go in my root. I can handle it from that point on but I want to be sure that Im putting the files or folders in the proper locations first.

Thanks!!

I have the zip now but not sure where to install all of it or more precisely where all the pieces of it go in my root. I can handle it from that point on but I want to be sure that Im putting the files or folders in the proper locations first.

Thanks!!
Upload the folder within the upload/ folder to your library/ folder in your root directory.

Thanks for making this!

Has anyone found a way to scan the entire database for matches to SFS? So it can check old registrations as well as new ones? Thanks!

:)

Top Bottom