• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Stop Forum Spam

Jeremy

in memoriam 1991-2020
So, you wants to assassinate those spammers before they get through to spam your site? I know I do. So here, I present you with a simple integration with Stop Forum Spam. As of right now, it is strictly on registration; but, I plan on integrating it with the Spam Arsenal Kier and Mike have developed. There are two main options to control functionality, both described inside of the "Spam Management" options group.

If a registrant fails, the data is never actually sent to the database, a registration error occurs.

Also, a huge shout out must go to Shadab for seriously helping me get the MVC setup down. Hopefully I can take this even further.

Revision Log
  • v1.0.1 - October 6th, 2010
    • Fixed! Fixes a small PHP error if the request times out. Shall now let a registrant into the forum without checking.
  • v1.0.0 - October 6th, 2010
    • Initial Release. :)
Translations
So, without further ado... I present v1.0.1.

Attachments

Fantastic - thanks very much. It seems that forum spamvertising attempts keep growing and growing, so I very much appreciate having this in place from the start to keep things clean from the bots.

Awesome, thanks a bunch.

Quick question, what happens if the check query thingy times out (eg stopforumspam is down, for example)? Does it just skip the check & get on with the registration or yell at the registrant?

Either way, great job.

Awesome, thanks a bunch.

Quick question, what happens if the check query thingy times out (eg stopforumspam is down, for example)? Does it just skip the thread & get on with the registration or yell at the registrant?

Either way, great job.

That's a good question. Thinking about it, if the query times out, the data I use isn't defined, so it'll give a PHP error. I'll fix that right quick.

Awesome work! I told you that you do a great job coding. Thanks for listening to me :p

I never said I couldn't, I just said you give me too much credit. :P

Great work!

Quick note to anyone using this: Make sure you tell people in your privacy policy that you submit data to stopforumspam.

Great work!

Quick note to anyone using this: Make sure you tell people in your privacy policy that you submit data to stopforumspam.

Data submission is also not required. But I'll be updating the package soon enough with a quick fix for the above mentioned error.

Data submission is also not required. But I'll be updating the package soon enough with a quick fix for the above mentioned error.

How does it work? If it checks an IP, username and/or email address against the stopforumspam database, its submitting data.

Edit: Just taken a look at the code. It does submit data:

PHP:
$xml = simplexml_load_file("http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?username=" . $data['username'] ."&email=" . $data['email'] . "&ip=" . $data['ip'] . "&f=xmlcdata");

Obviously its not a requirement that people mention it in their privacy policy, but legally you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you didn't and something happened!

For us (germany, austria,..) it is required!
Our users HAVE TO AGREE, that it's ok, that we are sending there personal data to 3rd parties!
If they not agree, we're not allowed to send them.

How does it work? If it checks an IP, username and/or email address against the stopforumspam database, its submitting data.

Edit: Just taken a look at the code. It does submit data:

PHP:
$xml = simplexml_load_file("http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?username=" . $data['username'] ."&email=" . $data['email'] . "&ip=" . $data['ip'] . "&f=xmlcdata");

Obviously its not a requirement that people mention it in their privacy policy, but legally you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you didn't and something happened!

Yes, but no data is stored on their server, unless specifically requested to (in the options). Or in your countries, does it even require just for a checking schema to be mentioned? Just because I'm fairly sure that's not required in the US.

Top Bottom