• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Stop Forum Spam

I had some trouble with this and still do..... Please read.

Just a quick check here to make sure that Im putting everything in the right place.

I put the contents of the .zip like so....

Stop Forum Spam contains a folder called upload, .DS_Store and the addon_StopForumSpam.xml

Now, inside of upload there is another folder called library and a file called .DS_Store

Inside of library is another folder called StopForumSpam (this folder contains ControllerPublic and EventListener)

I installed this program on my test site before moving over to my main site. What I did was place that StopForumSpam folder (the one that contains ControllerPublic and EvenListener) directly into my /forum/library

My question at this point is where exactly do you put that .DS_Store file and just as important where exactly does the addon_StopForumSpam.xml go?

I had this installed like I said on my test site and had it set up with my existing API code from Stop Forum Spam owners. When I tried a test registration it crashed the site with an error message referring to line 84 but I dont remember what file it referenced.

Your thoughts please because I really like what this program does to protect my site, had it on my SMF forum and it was wonderful there.

Thanks!!!

.DS_Store can be removed. It is a Mac OS X file that keeps information on the folder it resides in.

Thank you! This cuts down on so many spammers trying to join. It would be a drag to not have it!

*Added & Liked*

Found a conflict with this and another addon called Ragtek's Invite System
Report this to ragtek. The issue isn't on my end as I pass the logic back to XenForo. I can almost guarantee that ragtek's invite system doesn't (meaning once his happens it most likely doesn't send it back).

Report this to ragtek. The issue isn't on my end as I pass the logic back to XenForo. I can almost guarantee that ragtek's invite system doesn't (meaning once his happens it most likely doesn't send it back).
I don't think so, because my add-on doesn't do anything with the registration direct.
It overwrites only _assertRegistrationActive.

Also
simplexml_load_file() [<a href='function.simplexml-load-file'>function.simplexml-load-file</a>]: http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?us...an@XXX.com.au&amp;ip=210.XXX&amp;f=xmlcdata:1: parser error : Document is empty
sounds more like a problem with the stopforumspam service.

But i'll check it

I've tested the 2 add-ons in 5 forums and i hadn't any problems.
They are working fine together.

I still think that the service from stopforumspam.com had some problems because they returned the empty document...

We use SFS on our vB forum and it is *very* effective, however it does misfire on to be honest, an alarming rate.

Primarily because it will block registration based upon username! So if a spammer was logged using 'Ben', anyone who tried to register as 'Ben' would instantly be rejected. Also I've had false hits on IPs before now as well.

If I may, can I suggest a feature...

* Select the number of matches before a registration is rejected - i.e. if 1 of 3 match, then still let them through, if 2 of 3 match, then let them through but require them to be approved by a moderator first and if all 3 fail, reject them.

No spam filter is really much use if it has collateral damage in the form of blocked non-spammers and the simple (ok, perhaps not so simple) change above would really help to block the real bad spammers.

Ok, if 1 or 2 still get through, we can live with that, we can have other mods in place that monitor the first few posts and look for spam that way, but SFS is a great first line of defence, just as long as its not too enthusiastic.

Also, logging is vital. I appreciate the addon is new, but please put some thought into adding this.

This was released a day after XF beta 1. Its not new. As well, it includes tolerance settings as you are requesting.

Just a note on development. This plugin will no longer be updated, as its code is being rolled into another add-on in development. Any features slated for v1.1/v2 will be released with the other add-on.

Just a note on development. This plugin will no longer be updated, as its code is being rolled into another add-on in development. Any features slated for v1.1/v2 will be released with the other add-on.
Sounds like something big is coming sooner or later, :D

Top Bottom