Add-on Still no Downloads Manager?

Paul

It seems that after several years of being, other than RM (Which isn't ideally suited to be honest) there's no Downloads manager for xF.
Searching, there has been a multitude of requests for one, and one was release once (Microdownloads) which doesn't function any more, and that's it.

Surely it cant be just me that would find a use for one!

How have others managed to get around this, or more importantly is anyone up for creating one?

More than happy to chip in to get one done, however i suspect to get something half decent it would need a few of us to input what they would be wanting, and also bring any associated costs down for all.

Maybe you could explain a bit more about what you mean by a downloads manager? What do you require it to do, what features are needed etc?

Hi Martok,

Personally i was thinking along the lines of something relatively simple - along similar lines to the IPB one...

The download manager can be used to download available files or upload files yourself. Files can be added by any user of a certain group.

Viewing Categories
Downloads are separated into categories - when you first go to the download manager you will see a list of categories (Categories set up by Admin) Click on any category name to view the files in that category.

Some categories may have sub-categories. When you are in the category, you will see a list of files within that category. You can click on any file to view and download it.

Statistics
Below the category list, you can see statistics of the download manager, such as who is currently viewing the system, the total number of files, the total number of downloads, and the newest file. There are also links to see the files uploaded today and all new files.

Viewing and Downloading Files

File Information
When viewing a category, you will see basic information such as who uploaded it and when, a screenshot (if supplied by the person who submitted the file), and the number of downloads it has had. Below this, you will see a full description of the file.

Downloading
To download the file, click on the download button.

Comments
At the bottom of the file's page, you will see any existing comments on the file - you can add a comment by pressing the "
page_white_add.png
Leave a comment" button, and you can use the "Reply", "Report" and "Multiquote" links, and the Fast Reply box, just like in the forums.

Adding Files
If you have permission to upload your own files, you can press the "Upload File" button from anywhere in the download manager. You can select a category to enter the file into, then enter the file name and description.

Normally, you will upload a file from your computer. To upload your file, press the button. A box will appear for you to select the file on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file you want to upload.

You may alternatively be able to enter a URL to your file. You can instead use this to submit your file if the option is available. This file will be transferred and hosted in the same place as the others.

Repeat the process for uploading a screenshot. Screenshots may be compulsory or optional - if you do not upload a screenshot, a "No Screenshot" message will be shown when viewing your file.

Once you file has been uploaded you will be taken to it - be aware that you may need to wait for your file to be approved.

You may, after submitting your file, be able to edit or delete it by pressing the "Edit file" and "Delete file" buttons respectively.

Basically a simple however effective download manager, with the ability to add more stuff to as it matures :)

Thanks for the information. :)

Maybe I'm missing something, but having read through that description, it sounds pretty much like the RM to me. The RM can certainly do pretty much most of that. So, why do you feel that the RM isn't the same/suitable for this purpose?

I fully agree. Ipb 's DM is not any different than Xenforo 's RM. You can do almost all those things with the RM too.

IMO RM is WAY to complex for a simple download manager. Granted it seems to be the only option at present.Also, RM seems to concentrate on documents that require updates/Revisions, whereby these wouldnt need this. Also none of these are paid-for - they are all free. Finally, As far as i know, Multiple file uploads cant be done (unless that has been added now??).

RM just seems overkill for what should be VERY simple.

If there's a tutorial on how to set up RM as a download manager then i'm more than happy to give it a go since I have a licence (just not currently used), however it just seems lots of work where a simple add-on would potentially provide more specific functionality alongside being easier and more compact, thats all :)

Multiple files could be uploaded as a zip file. I think if you edit the resource rather than update it then you can replace the original file rather than adding an updated one in addition.

I still don't think the XenForo team fully understands this and other similar requests which are all basically the same request. I think they just had too specific of a focus in mind when they developed the RM add-on. They geared it mainly for uploading software packages and updates and it is a one file at a time type of thing which is really not useful for anything other than that. They never considered people wanting to use it as a file download system on their boards.

90% of my files for example are pdf documents with the occasional mp3 file, etc. I use it only for files people can download. The MG won't really work for what I need so I have to use the RM to do it, but how the heck do you batch upload multiple files at the same time when say you have several thousand files to upload?

Here are the two other threads where this same request has been requested. I've asked around to see if any of the add-on developers would be interested in creating something to do this, but so far I've not had any luck :(

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/batch-file-upload-feature-desperately-needed.107310/

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/multiple-files-upload.46292/

I would like to add my voice to a request for this.

My needs are about 12.5 gb of files that I had in a downloads manager for vBulletin. I just changed over to XF this week. These files are PDF primarily, consisting of historical public-domain books, military manuals, first-aid manuals, fiction and non-fiction stories, etc. We had the largest single repository of outdoor and military documentation in the world, but they are not accessible now.

Something simple with a upload/download buttons based on usergroup permissions, User (that uploaded the file), Title, Description, Author, Category, Rating, Commenting, Like.

If the Title, Description and Author options were just listed in the add-on as site-defined labels, with a check mark to include or not to include, that would be fine too. It should make it more flexible for folks that want downloads to be repository for something other than books. Maybe 5 customized text fields, for titles that can be activated and named in the admincp. Folks can have title, description, year published, version number of software, etc.

The XFRM works with all kinds of versioning functions, which is only applicable to software. Even reviews depend upon version. Versioning cannot be turned off.
There is no document embedding function.
The XFRM was built with software marketplace in mind. I t was never intended to be used for documents and other files.

The XFRM was built with software marketplace in mind. I t was never intended to be used for documents and other files.

Bingo, and that's actually the problem. Someone needs to create a download system add-on for Xenforo or come up with one that can be used with the RM where multiple files can be uploaded/imported all at once.

The best workaround I've seen with other BB software is the ability to batch import files from a folder on your server. Meaning, a folder where you have ftp’d the files to first. The file names themselves could be used to populate the RM fields.

XFRM doesn't have multiple file upload. So if you have an entry that has multiple PDF files, the RM cant cater to that. You can add the additional files to the resource description, but clicking the download button will not download the files.

XFRM doesn't have multiple file upload. So if you have an entry that has multiple PDF files, the RM cant cater to that. You can add the additional files to the resource description, but clicking the download button will not download the files.

Again, EXACTLY !!!

You just keep stating what everyone already knows...

Top Bottom