Fixed 'Start conversations with you' field value changing autometically upon ACP user update

Andro

Affected version
Hi,

As the title says, to reproduce:

Edit and save an never saved user post XF 2 upgrade from ACP then Start conversations with you field changes to Nobody from All visitors.

By default it should be Members only until user or administrator changes the value, i think some past XF upgrade screwed up.

Any quick fix would be appreciated.

"All visitors" (the internal name for which is "everyone") isn't a valid value for that setting in the UI. The database does allow that value, but there's nowhere in the software that you can set it as that, so I assume you might have manually set it at some point in the past for all users? Of course "All visitors" isn't a viable value for that option, seeing as you need to be logged in to send people conversations. If this is something you set en masse (not recommended) then "members" would have been the appropriate value.

If that's the case, then really it's expected. But let us know how you think the "everyone" value got there.

so I assume you might have manually set it at some point in the past for all users?
I don't remember setting it to that value ever.
Even default value during registration set to Members only.

Just now noticed something new, the pre-selected value for Initiate conversations with this user: set to Nobody in the dropdown however all members conversations are enabled. I never played with it before so no idea how it happened. After editing a user it changes like this:

7ZH7MhW.jpg

Any way to fix it now and upon future saving it should not auto change the field value?

Is this an old user? I believe that was the default value for that setting some time back -- we've seen this change happen in XF1, though there it would go to "members".

Just run this query for now:
SQL:
UPDATE xf_user_privacy
SET allow_send_personal_conversation = 'members'
WHERE allow_send_personal_conversation = 'everyone'
There's a couple of ways we could make changes here. From updating the order of the select drop down so that "Members only" would appear first, or just removing this invalid value from the database on the next upgrade, but the query above should take care of it for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom