XF 1.2 Start a Conversation Profile Page?

Hope I did this right. Added the "start a conversation" below avatar code (removed the Conversation: line - didn't fit or look right.) It places the conversation code below the avatar image.
<xen:include template="ad_member_view_below_avatar" />

Code:
<xen:if is="{$canStartConversation}">
                                <dl><dd><a href="{xen:link 'conversations/add', '', 'to={$user.username}'}">{xen:phrase start_conversation}</a></dd></dl>
                            </xen:if>

Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 8.27.06 PM.webp

Edit the templates and move the code appropriately. Open member_view and you should be able to drill down to find the correct template.

The "Start Conversation" Button really should be more visible on the profil page, users are writing on pinboard but they think, it's private.. ;)

The "Start Conversation" Button really should be more visible on the profil page, users are writing on pinboard but they think, it's private.. ;)

This.

I had to search really hard and only after a google search could I find where to do this from the profile page.

Please can this be improved without having to edit templates? It shouldn't be this hidden.

I am a newbie, and I would like a to see in the member view an option to start a conversation. The default location is under "Information" ...not terribly intuitive. The idea that this is default is not good practice for usability. That said, the solution to modify the templates is daunting for me as I worry about srewing something up and the instructions so far are glib ... e.g., "edit the template and move the code appropriately" ... just what is appropriately and what is not.

Please provide an example of exactly what code should be moved from where to where. What would that code look like before and after. I have limited ability in doing this sort of work (css files, etc.).

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Thats not really the case. They are just plain clueless. We have ours under the avatar in the same way it is on vBulletin so anyone having used a vB site for years would see it right away. They still do the same thing your users are doing, sometimes thinking its private... though a bunch of other peoples conversations are there as well lol.

Edit the member_view template and add this code:
Code:

<a href="{xen:link 'conversations/add', '', 'to={$user.username}'}">{xen:phrase start_conversation}</a>

Directly after this line:
Code:

Like so:
Code:

<a href="{xen:link 'conversations/add', '', 'to={$user.username}'}">{xen:phrase start_conversation}</a>

Edit the member_view template and add this code:
Code:

Directly after this line:
Code:

Like so:
Code:

Thank you very much ... perfect!

After running PHPBB and Vbulletin for years, "Start a conversation" itself is not intuitive (to myself, other admins or moderators, nor the users). "PM" and private message are what our followers have been used to for the past 20 years.

All of our users instead end up accidentally writing all over each other's boards to have their "private" conversations. Our users have no idea what "Start a conversation" means, and the "Start a conversation" link is truly buried under the information tab, so they just write over each other's walls instead.

It would be awesome if there was a short cut from the user's avatar right on the thread itself (like a hover/pop up), that would let you private message a user straight from a thread. Rrather than going to view their profile, then clicking the information tab, then searching for the obscure start a conversation link that is the same font/size/style as all the other text on that page.

My request is not a technical "How do I do this" post; it is a "Please consider this as a feature in future versions" post. (I do not have the time to learn a new tagging language nor to go run proper testing and deployment from a staging server.)

If not possible there, I would definitely be a lover of the option of having start a conversation or send PM link just below the avatar on their user page.

Forgot about XenForo add-ons! Thanks for taking the time to share that link here.

Always a bit nervous about add-ons... as soon as I install an add-on the old caveat of "user beware, support is your problem, XenForo staff do not guarantee security or stability for third party add-ons". This of course from the vbulletin days there third party add-ons were notorious for opening up holes in the security. For our little company, we basically make the policy of no third-party add-ons, only official first-party paid add-ons. This reduces the workload later if there comes a major XenForo base upgrade etc.

I can understand that but the user is known to quite a few, helps with issues on this board and has their own board with tutorials and it works fine on my board (if you check the URL above you can see he helped me a lot today).

Top Bottom