[SSD] New Posts [Deleted]

Stolen Sheep Design submitted a new resource:

[SSD] New Posts - This will add a 'New Posts' button to the bottom of the thread, above the Quick Reply box.

Ever got to the bottom of a thread and then have to scroll all the way back up to click 'New Posts' again, or clicking the jump to top icon then 'New Posts'?

This will add a 'New Posts' link to the bottom of the thread, above the Quick Reply box.

Customise the button with the Style Properties. Option to load Font Awesome CDN if you do not have it loaded by some other method, option is on by default.

Read more about this resource...

To me, a "new posts" button at the bottom of a thread suggests new posts within that thread, to be clicked if people have responded since you started typing.

I really like this add-on, but it didn't work for me out of the box using Xenforo version 1.5.5. It wasn't going to the correct new posts page. I patched it like this and it worked great.

Code:
--- [SSD] New Posts 1.1/addon-ssd_newposts.xml  2015-11-03 10:27:56.000000000 -0600
+++ [SSD] New Posts 1.1.fixed/addon-ssd_newposts.xml    2016-01-19 21:00:06.000000000 -0600
@@ -78,7 +78,7 @@
       <replace><![CDATA[<div class="linkGroup"{xen:if '!{$ignoredNames}', ' style="display: none"'}><a href="javascript:" class="muted JsOnly DisplayIgnoredContent Tooltip" title="{xen:phrase show_hidden_content_by_x, "names={xen:helper implode, $ignoredNames, ', '}"}">{xen:phrase show_ignored_content}</a></div>
                                <div class="ssd_newPosts">
                                 <xen:require css="ssd_newposts.css" />
-                               <li><a href="/find-new/posts" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase new_posts}</a></li>
+                               <li><a href="{xen:link 'find-new/posts'}" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase new_posts}</a></li>
                                </div>
                        <xen:pagenav link="threads" linkdata="{$thread}"

I like the add-on as well, but it won't work for me either. Our forum is not installed in the root of our website, but instead in a /forums/ sub-directory. The add-on appears to assume the forum is installed in the root, and thus generates an error whenever someone clicks on the [SSD] New Posts link. :confused:

EDIT:
I fixed it by finding…
Code:
                <li><a href="/find-new/posts" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase new_posts}</a></li>
in the addon-ssd_newposts.xml file

And replacing it with…
Code:
                <li><a href="/forums/find-new/posts" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase new_posts}</a></li>

Then re-importing the xml file into XenForo.

Last edited:
I like the add-on as well, but it won't work for me either. Our forum is not installed in the root of our website, but instead in a /forums/ sub-directory. The add-on appears to assume the forum is installed in the root, and thus generates an error whenever someone clicks on the [SSD] New Posts link. :confused:

EDIT:
I fixed it by finding…
Code:
                <li><a href="/find-new/posts" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase new_posts}</a></li>
in the addon-ssd_newposts.xml file

And replacing it with…
Code:
                <li><a href="/forums/find-new/posts" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase new_posts}</a></li>

Then re-importing the xml file into XenForo.
I posted a patch (two posts up) that does the same thing but works regardless of the subdirctory name that Xenforo is installed in.

I posted a patch (two posts up)
I saw it, but not being a coder I didn't understand it. :confused: Still it steered me in the right direction and allowed me to find a spot to make a revision that worked for my installation, so Thanks! (y)

Here's how I modded this addon to show Recent Posts instead of New Posts:

HTML:
<a href="/find-new/posts" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase new_posts}</a></li>

Replace the code above with this:

<a href="{xen:link find-new/posts, '', 'recent=1'}" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase recent_posts}</a>

I wanted the symbol to look like a refresh, so I changed the Font Awesome code too:

HTML:
Conversation bubble icon:

content: "\f075";
    font-family: FontAwesome;

Refresh icon:

content: "\f021";
    font-family: FontAwesome;

The file to be modded is the addon-ssd_newposts.xml installation file.

Big thanks to [SSD]! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Awesome! I am removing it from xF1 as i am preparing for xF2, can you tell me which files were connected with this add-on, so that i can remove them from the server...

Thank you

You have any screenshots of what this looked like?
Unfortunately I do not. However, basically it was a button at the bottom right hand side of the thread after the last post, right under the " like quote reply" buttons that said "new posts" and that button took you to the new posts. It makes surfing the forum really smooth. I am surprised no one has done this with XF2 as its really an incredibly useful feature that people love.

I’ll see what I can come up with.
That would be awesome! It seems like it would be really simple, and the way it makes the forum browsing so much easier is just really great. Again I do not know why anyone else has not done it. It should be a core feature.

That would be awesome! It seems like it would be really simple, and the way it makes the forum browsing so much easier is just really great. Again I do not know why anyone else has not done it. It should be a core feature.

Like this:
newpostbutton_example.webp

Top Bottom