Browser issue Spell check not working correctly in Firefox for MacOS

AndyB

Affected version
PR10 or whatever version XenForo is running right now.
I'm using Firefox 54.0.1 on MacOS Sierra.

In any editor do this:

1) Type a misspelled word, for example

Unfortunaately

2) Continue typing another word then a space after the second word the red dotted line for the first misspelled word goes away.

It's something that is out of our control unfortunately.

There's a pattern with most rich text editors (that don't use iframes) to actually disable the spell check in Firefox entirely because it's basically bugged. This was reported to Froala (after a similar bug report at the demo forum) and they essentially marked it as something they wouldn't/couldn't fix.

All we can hope for is that Mozilla fix it in Firefox at some point.

No it won't be and spell check works great in all browsers except Firefox.

You'd be better off with a Firefox specific spell check extension (hopefully they will work better than the default).

I see that the spell checker on Firferfox does not really work, for a brief period it will underline the word in red but then if you go back it will not give you the correct word options to select from.

Unfortunately I see this as being a bit of a show stopper for my forum?

Just looking at this post it seems that it might sort of work but is not consistent as the word seems to be highlighted at times, so I am not sure what the trigger is that does highlight it?

We're making progress.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1400428

Looks like the issue has to do with this.normalize() method in Froala not being compatible with Firefox.

What is the purpose of this.normalize() and is it needed when Froala is used in XF2?
You do realise the other guy commenting on that report, "Stefan", is a Froala developer, right? If anyone, he'd be the person to ask :) None of the issue relates to any XF code. As it is a standard JavaScript method, the implication here is still that Firefox is generally handling perfectly valid code badly.

Hopefully together they'll figure it out.

Froala is working on a fix for the Firefox spell check issue.

Here's a new Github js with the latest version of Froala.

https://github.com/froala/wysiwyg-editor

1508345316049.webp

I tried editing the js/vendor/froala/froala-compiled.js with the latest version from this github, but I'm not sure if that is all that has to be done in order to test. I'm hoping that someone from the XenForo team can take a look at this.

We would have to wait for the next version to be actually released, which will be 2.7.1.

We will update XF to that version as soon as practicably possible.

We would have to wait for the next version to be actually released, which will be 2.7.1.

We will update XF to that version as soon as practicably possible.

Stefan has asked me to test this latest version. Should I be able to just exchange the Froala code in the js/vendor/froala/froala-compiled.js with this latest version, or is it more involved?

1508346067615.webp

That is working perfect, Chis.

I let Stefan know it works perfect and lets hope he will release 2.7.1 real soon so you can incorporate it into latest version of XF2.

Thank you.

Top Bottom