1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Spammer joined Tuesday

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Nysm, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Nysm

Nysm Member

A spammer joined on Tuesday and since then has spammed messages every 2-6 minutes and not once has my spam management considered he is a spammer (default settings). He has almost reached 1000 thousand posts since then and there is no easy way (for me it seems in admin control) to remove him and his messages.

I would of thought in the position of an administrator I can mark whoever I want as a spammer and go through the commands to remove their content, but I don't see no button to remove spam.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Amaury likes this.
  3. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

The reason you can't see the spam cleaner option is that you let him make too many posts before banning him.

You need to go in to your control panel, find the Spam Management options and change the spam cleaner settings:

20-09-2013 9-16-09 AM.png

Change the Maximum message count to something higher than that spammer's current post count (1,000 or more in your case), otherwise the spam cleaner option won't show up.

I suggest you drop it back down to something reasonable afterwards to prevent accidentally spam cleaning legitimate user accounts.

4. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

... or change them all to zero and have the spam cleaner available all the time. (y)

5. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

... and run the risk of accidentally spam cleaning legitimate users? I know you probably wouldn't do that - but it does offer a bit of extra protection from wayward or clumsy mods.

CyclingTribe and Amaury like this.
  6. CyclingTribe

But can be reversed if you do do it ... ;)

7. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

Fair enough :p

CyclingTribe likes this.
  8. CyclingTribe

Which was a great releif to discover when one of our moderators did exactly as you suggested they might and accidentally spam-cleansed a member of 4 years standing (who had a squillion posts!! :eek:)

Sim likes this.
  9. Nysm

Nysm Member

I changed all settings to zero for his removal. Then reverse them to default. I'm looking through the forum settings to ensure that it's tight. Does anyone here have any recommendations of add-ons that could prevent future spamming, attacks and the such?

edit://
    I was thanking you lot in my head, but forgot to include it in this post. D'oh.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

1.2 has spam tools built in, including spam phrases.

I moderate the first five posts of all new members.

CyclingTribe likes this.
  11. CyclingTribe

Exactly what we do on CycleChat - works a treat (and we haven't had a kitchen post since we introduced it. :LOL:). (y)