XF 2.2 Will this spammer be a problem once my email is set up?

vord

I've just imported a forum from phpbb. My email set up still has errors that I'll need to sort out, but I'm worried about the sort of people trying to send those emails. I've not obscured the emails address below as this guy is a spammer.

I'm pretty confident that once my emails are set up Xenforo will take care of the spammers and I'll be free of error messages. I don't have 'forum' as an SMTP username so that'll be from the phpbb.

Should I be doing anything to block these people before they get to the point where they can try to send emails?

Swift_TransportException: Email to fq16@masashi36.meta1.in.net from fq16@masashi36.meta1.in.net failed: Failed to authenticate on SMTP server with username "forum" using 2 possible authenticators. Authenticator CRAM-MD5 returned Expected response code 235 but got code "535", with message "535 Authentication failed ". Authenticator LOGIN returned Expected response code 235 but got code "535", with message "535 Authentication failed ".
  • src\vendor\swiftmailer\swiftmailer\lib\classes\Swift\Transport\Esmtp\AuthHandler.php:191
  • Generated by: Unknown account
  • Jul 17, 2022 at 4:15 PM

It's not really clear what you're asking.

No-one can send emails from your XF installation.
Instead the system sends emails as a result of certain actions, such as confirmation emails for registering, notification emails, for watched content, conversations, etc.

If your host has email set up on the server then you can just use the built in php email setting.

If you are worried about that particular member, just ban or delete them.
I would only recommend spam cleaning if they have actually demonstrated spam behaviour.

Sorry, I got a bit spooked by the error message and thought why is this guy able to put errors in my admin panel.

I guess the error in th admin panel is because my email is broken and once that is fixed Xenforo wiil take care of this guy.

Top Bottom