XF 1.4 Spam Phrases

Albanian

Hi Guys,

I am getting a lot of spammers on my forum(-/+ 20-30 threads a day) especially from dermakin products.
So ive post some rules in the Spam Phrases(options -> spam management)
Code:
http://www.tripleeffectseyeserum.org/dermakin-skin-serum/
dermakin
dermaskin

When i try to create a test thread with one of these words or url it doesnt block the thread, it just appears on the forum.. Am i doing something wrong, or are there other options to block those threads or spammers?

Regards,

The 'Maximum Messages to Check for Spam' value works in conjunction with the spam phrases.

It won't apply to you if your message count is higher than the value set there.

we're having the same problem. in our case i've entered a bunch of phrases and the number mentioned above is set to 4.

eyeserum is one of our spam phrases yet a spammer just posted
http://www.idolizeadvancedeyeserumfacts.com/wrinkle-repair/

how would it happen that a new account with a first post that includes a banned phrase would be able to post it anyway?

been trying to get a handle on some minor site admin issues and this one has me puzzled.

thanks,
bart

Last edited:
If you just have "eyeserum" in, that link won't trigger. The default approach matches full words only.

If you want to match abitrary strings, you need to use the regular expression support mentioned in the description, which in this case would be:

/eyeserum/i

Thank you very much Mike! I was wondering what the sentence "If you start the line with /, the line will be treated as a regular expression (example: /test/i)." meant and that answers my question. I've changed my phrases accordingly so we'll see tomorrow morning how the spammers like it!
Bart

What does the history show?

There was a bug that was fixed in a recent version that allowed edits to bypass spam checks. It should be fixed in 1.4.6 though.

Thnx, seems good! I just also tried to block some spam reffers by putting this in the .htaccess file:

Code:
## SITE REFERRER BANNING
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} semalt.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} urlopener.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} openallurls.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} seoanalyses.com [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [F]

I block URL's of any form being allowed to post until they have x messages and also specific words if no URL so it flags in moderation queue before they can post so I can quickly deny it and ban them.

Obviously take into account the content they are trying to post first, some may not be spam at all.

Oh and just to add, if you do a quick search there are ways that explain blocking disposable email addresses and certain countries and things but be careful using these as some are legit and if you block an entire country that is not a good idea.

Top Bottom