1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam on Xenforo early hours of this morning?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by flowerpot132, Sep 23, 2015.

1. flowerpot132

flowerpot132 Formerly mugtree

I was awake early this morning and checked new posts on the xenforo forum and saw pages of this:

Looks like it has all been removed now. What was it out of interest? Was it spam?
  2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I had over 160 alerts... (It might have been 360 actually, anyway it was a ridiculously large number that was 3 digits long). Selected the alerts tab, turns out all but 3 were invalid.

That's a lot of spam.
  4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Do you watch the Off Topic forum?

Was probably closer to 160.
    Daniel Hood likes this.
  5. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Maybe BroganBot isn't a bot?! Or maybe he was just busy rebooting. As for everyone else... gotta sleep sometime.
  6. flowerpot132

Soooo... what did happen out of interest please? And how easy is it to hack the login/sign up and someone / bot do this?
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't a hack.
    It was just a spammer who posted multiple threads over a couple of hours.
  8. flowerpot132

So he spent all night posting over 100 new threads?
  9. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Look, spammers aren't really known for using their time wisely. lol

Seriously though,
    It wasn't a hack. It was just a spammer. XenForo has great spam management tools. You can never stop 100% of spam though because it would create a bad user experience and plus sometimes spammers aren't doing it programmatically. Plus sometimes it's legitimately a person sitting there for hours, wasting their time.
  10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The amusing thing is what took him two hours to do was undone in as many seconds, thanks to the spam cleaner :D

Click. Click. Boom!
    Abracadaniel, sgr, Amaury and 3 others like this.
  11. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get more video stream spam for sports events
  12. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

And the awesome @Jake Bunce.
    Abracadaniel likes this.
  13. Chris D

Abracadaniel likes this.
  14. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

15. Chris D

Yeah it probably was Jake, actually, if he was online. Thought Paul was the first online this morning :)
    Amaury likes this.
  16. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I see, I see.

It was only 6:04 AM for Brogan when Jake posted, though it was still 10:04 PM for Jake and me. However, it wouldn't have really surprised me if Brogan had gotten it, because, according to him, sleep is for the weak. Ain't that right, @Brogan? ;)