Spam Management Question

Never heard of typepad, the Q/A system was confusing our users and the bots adapt the many questions we are feeding to it. It got so silly that we just turned it off.

@Floris
Question like as: 1+1=? is stupid and easy for bots.
We have 180 Questions like as: "Which color has a dutch tomato?" ;) For bot's NO WAY

I know that, I have 50+ posts about this on vBulletin.com telling customers the same thing. I am not new to communities, but thanks for the suggestion :)

the bots adapt the many questions we are feeding to it. It got so silly that we just turned it off.

I think it makes a difference if Q/A is in english or any other language. Since we (geman language board) switched from ReCaptcha to Q/A we had no bots.

On English forums Q/A have turned pretty useless, I had some English forums and the spammers from China knew English pretty well.... For German it's easier.

FYI I just msgd the creator of the vBStopForumSpam mod about XenForo (and this very thread), so hopefully he'll stop by and say hi.

Strange enough, i use the Q/A system on my site and i don't get any bot spam at all.
Although the questions are not simple. More like word based simple algebra problems.

Never heard of typepad, the Q/A system was confusing our users and the bots adapt the many questions we are feeding to it. It got so silly that we just turned it off.

Q/A systems work with logical questions. "If your brother's daughter had a child, what relation is the child to you?"

Optima show us how it works ... :)

Get a free typepad anti spam key here.

In the admin CP, go to VBs Spam Management settings and enter the API key.

typepad.jpg

Spam management needs to be very advanced to work. Especially on large sites. Getting a flood of spam can kill a site if the amount becomes unmanageable. So we need a lot of hoops for spam bots to jump trough.
stopforumspam, askimet, check4spam(custom keyword moderation), ISBOT(register time check), hidden fields in the register screen that only bots can see, alerts for banned members returning, etc.

If we have extended applications that work in conjunction with xenForo like the CMS or Blogs, I do hope the spam management system extends into those systems to scan for spam blog posts, and comments.

Even signatures inside the forums need to have a bit of spam checking :p

Gets more complicated than that. Cross checking for exact / similar IPs over multiple accounts for one. I'd LOVE to see a feature that shows a quick count of how many spammers :: non-spammers are on any particular Class C / B (extreme I know) IP range. I know of 2 class Bs I'm about to ban on one forum sometime this week. One's 98% spammers, the other's 100% spammers.

Finding spammer "teams" (usually the same dimwit) would be awesome as well.

Top Bottom