Spam and Disposable email addresses

Spam and Disposable email addresses 0.4

No permission to download
I just successfully registered on my Forums with this ID I created: 1qsqrx+8d0mpzbzqsb78@sharklasers.com

Even though *sharklasers.com is visible in the Banned Email Addresses inside ACP, I'm able to register successfully. Any clue why?

Could this be a caching issue? I haven't purged my CDN files.. Maybe I should?

UPDATE:

*@sharklasers.com is working successfully for banning...

Last edited:
If this is a default XenForo installation, I would raise a bug report...
Changing the regex to *@sharklasers.com is working. I don't know why *sharklasers.com is not; technically it should.

I'm on 1.4.4; I'm using a lot of 3rd party and custom addons and themes. Maybe this issue was fixed in subsequent XF releases? I'll have to check the release notes..

@WoodiE , you should remove any * in the sql. Obviously the wildcards are being ignored and so the complete detection fails. I have removed the wildcards and the detection is working as designed.

@Brogan , please have a look into this one. This is a bug regarding the use of wildcards while banning partial email-adresses. Reproducable even in xf 1.5 to 1.5.2. Would be nice you could adress this to Mike or Kier or to whom it may concern.

Regards,
Sperber

@WoodiE , you should remove any * in the sql. Obviously the wildcards are being ignored and so the complete detection fails. I have removed the wildcards and the detection is working as designed.

@Brogan , please have a look into this one. This is a bug regarding the use of wildcards while banning partial email-adresses. Reproducable even in xf 1.5 to 1.5.2. Would be nice you could adress this to Mike or Kier or to whom it may concern.

Regards,
Sperber

Thanks @Sperber, I will update the resource soon as I also have many more domain names to add to the list.

Hey this doesn't seem to be working on XF 1.5.4. Someone succsessfully registered using a trbvm.com email, even thought it's already in the banned email list as "*trbvm.com". Any ideas?

You need to remove the star * from the entry or change it to *@trbvm.com.

Last edited:
Thanks @Sperber, I will update the resource soon as I also have many more domain names to add to the list.

confirmed that this is not filtering emails properly in xf 1.5.4.

i barely know any mysql at all, so take the following with a grain of salt, but I believe I've been able to fix this to update emails to the *@domain.com format.

I've run this on my database and it executed fine. Your own results may vary. I've attached the updated sql in zip format for you to try yourself if you've got the cojones for it.

Attachments

Last edited:
I think this function in core of XF has problem. instead of prohibited addresses we can enter those addresses which are valid, if we have something like I said there is no need any long lists.
We can put those addresses that we need or we think they are trusty.

I think this function in core of XF has problem. instead of prohibited addresses we can enter those addresses which are valid, if we have something like I said there is no need any long lists.
It seems that would only work 'if' your forum members have a (or a few) common email address domain.(i.e. employees@boeing.org; students@texasuniversity.net; etc.)

If that's what you're after, see E-mail Address Restrictions by AlexD as it seems that will perform the function for you.

confirmed that this is not filtering emails properly in xf 1.5.4.

i barely know any mysql at all, so take the following with a grain of salt, but I believe I've been able to fix this to update emails to the *@domain.com format.

I've run this on my database and it executed fine. Your own results may vary. I've attached the updated sql in zip format for you to try yourself if you've got the cojones for it.
Code:
update xf_ban_email
set banned_email = replace(banned_email, '@', '*@')
where banned_email like '@%';

If you do that, you'll loose a lot of very valid members in german language countries. GMX.net/de/at/ch is a large e-mail provider there, similar to Gmail or Hotmail.
I saw both, GMX.net/com "FreeMail" and also favicon.ico is same.. Isn't legit.

That are scam.

Top Bottom