1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sopa Strike! Will you be doing this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Dark Wizard, Jan 15, 2012.

?

Will you be participating?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

Rob Fritz likes this.
  2. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

Interesting. I will check that out. Not to hijack your thread but to add to it, here is a group that Wordpress supports.

I've censored the following, in protest of a bill that gives any corporation and the US government the power to censor the internet--a bill that could pass THIS WEEK. To see the uncensored text, and to stop internet censorship, visit:
    http://americancensorship.org/posts/37802/uncensor

████ ███████ █████. ████ a █████ day ████. We are ████, we ████ ████ ████ ███████ us. We are ████████ █████ ██████ ██████ buy a █████ of Law and a ████ of our █████. Is ████ ████ for you?

3. Robert F Schmitz

By the way, are you?

4. The Dark Wizard

Yes of course. My entire community is against this due to the fact we write/RP even though it's all mostly original it's still a dangerous thing for us because some times people reference things that are copyrighted that we don't notice. For example using a name for a character that already exists in a book or story somewhere(Even though it may have been unintentional).

We have other massive traffic sites on our server which will be participating as well.

Rob Fritz likes this.
  5. Robert F Schmitz

Glad to hear that.

6. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

7. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

Let me preface my comment below by saying that I'm asking this humbly because I'm seriously confused.

If SOPA passes, the gov't has the right to shut down websites, preventing a normal user from viewing it. So in protest of this, people are voluntarily blacking their websites out for a day, preventing a normal user from viewing it. I don't get it.

gordy likes this.
  8. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

I think the main aim is to somehow replicate its effect, yes. I have not read the bill in full and have seen so many conflicting opinions on it. All I know is that companies like Google, Twitter, Facebook etc who all have rather large legal teams, all seem to be against it in quite a big way.

9. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

It is to show what will happen if SOPA passes. Once the users realize that they can't view their favorite sites and are linked to americancensorship.org they will voice their opinion against SOPA.

10. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

Its a publicity stunt because SOPA has nothing to do with censorship.

11. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

Me not showing up to work will not affect whether SOPA is passed or not, but would probably get my ass fired. So no.

12. The Dark Wizard

Sigh. . . .Please do not derail your thread and leave the rest of us who actually care to our own thing.

13. Fred Sherman

[​IMG]
    As usual, opposing views are not welcome.

How about if you man-up and take this challenge. READ the bill and tell me which clause SPECIFICALLY allows for censorship.

How about it? Got the nads?

14. John

John Well-Known Member

So many butthurt people in the world today...

15. The Dark Wizard

This is not what this thread is about. Why don't you go make a thread made just for arguing this.

16. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There are other threads which are for debating the merits of SOPA.

This is simply a straw poll.

Please take the discussion to one of the other threads.

17. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

You strike by blacking out your site, not by not showing up to work.

Its purely an online strike as the major opponents of SOPA are online.

18. The Dark Wizard

Indeed. We will be blacking out our site at midnight.

19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Indeed.
    If these tit-for-tat insults continue then the thread will be closed.

20. Fred Sherman

• Inappropriate behavior.
    I didn't figure you'd take the challenge. I guess after engaging in insults, your intellectual capacity has been sapped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.