Sometimes I think I was way better with vB 3x + vBSEO

Hmm. I think I might just update the description of the site; but 'CrazyEngineers' is a registered trademark, which I can't mess with.

We are #2 for 'engineer forum' and #1 for 'engineers forum'. Just checked.

I've searched both terms at google.co.uk and your site didn't feature in the first 10 pages (100 sites).

I appreciate your branding is important to you, but it might be worth considering experimenting with the site title a little, just to see if it has a positive effect. (y)

I've found that SERP varies allot with location, and whatever else Google knows about you, which is why I tend to only use the average position from GWT.

I also see that I mostly get the same results whether I am logged in or not, so I think they are using more than your Google Account to tailor results....

There was a major shift in ranking by Google at that time when you saw the decline. I experienced much of the same, with a big fall off.

I do think that the learning curve of XF is a challenge for forum growth. While vB is a beast, it's a familiar one to most forum users. They know the process of signing up, managing threads, etc.

I will say that some startup forums I've created have gone nowhere and they have XF installed. This could be Google not ranking new forums -- they have limited to no backlinks. It's hard to measure, since in previous years there were different algorithms.

I'd be glad to post any of my goog an charts, but folks are correct in terms of page views going down - this is because of BETTER SEO and better google searching.

But my percentage of NEW visitors has gone up. And my total visitors has gone up. This despite no real growth spurt in our industry or topic. So I think our charts are pretty "average" if there is such a thing....

We purposely moved in the slow season......although I think we "recovered" in less than one month from any burps related to the move.

Here is one basic chart - unique visitors.....two years compared.

You can see to the left of the chart - the slow season and the basics (even) of the traffic compared to the year before. But as you get toward the busy season (now), the metrics increase. Note the higher percentage of new users.

Page views and visit times are down sharply - but XF is MUCH faster than our old forums and the searching is much better, so these are good things (IMHO)....
Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 11.38.25 AM.webp

Over the past few months, I've watched you make many drastic changes that could have had a net negative effect on your traffic. It might be better to ask a question here before you pull a lever rather than after it's been done. Just my observation.

SEO in the traditional sense is basically dead. You can't really compare your traffic a few years ago to now. Google is constantly making so many algorithm tweaks these days that it's almost impossible to figure out why your ranking dipped.

The decline you experienced in all likelihood has nothing to do with the forum switch, I have seen some competitors in my niche that were once top 5K Alexa sites go down to ~50K over the past year or so with no change in platform.

SEO in the traditional sense is basically dead. You can't really compare your traffic a few years ago to now. Google is constantly making so many algorithm tweaks these days that it's almost impossible to figure out why your ranking dipped.

Same thinking. Google is always making changes that affects site page rankings one year to the next.

You are the minority (by minority, I mean to the best of my knowledge, only person) experiencing this.

I'd question what other factors if any maybe playing a role in this outside of just switching to XenForo.

What is your domain name?
What is in your htaccess?
What is in your robot.txt
What IP's have you blocked?
What is your noise ration ... ie... Do you have signatures public to guest (for example)
How many outbound links to you have?
Is your forum sounded by another software?
Is your forum part of a site?

Tons of things can change this factor as you have stated, Google has changed a few times.
How do you disable signatures for guest viewing? Great idea.

Does that help SEO?
Yes. it helps keep your niche, nichey as many signatures have nothing to do with your topic which can dilute the topic you want to be known for. Signature disabling was an old vBSEO feature that also helped my code to text ratio.

Or so they say.

Top Bottom