Add-on Something for New Users Please?

Gene Steinberg

So I've been using the somewhat flaky Ragtek New User Notification System.

Ragtek appears to have gone under, so to speak, and I am in the process of removing his stuff, since it will never be supported or updated.

Is there another add-on that serves the purpose of notifying the moderators about new users, sending welcome email or conversations, etc?

I've searched, and maybe I'm missing something, but the obvious search requests don't deliver any results.

Don't judge someone for not coming online.
I hate it when people don't think further then their computer. What if Ragtek has a tough time because something happened?

Anyhow, just wait. If someone's interested they will create. It's that simple.

I would hope we'd hear at least a couple of sentences to know what's going on. Some of us sent him money for services and add-ons.

I understand catastrophes occur, of course, but hope it's not that.

I would hope we'd hear at least a couple of sentences to know what's going on. Some of us sent him money for services and add-ons.

I understand catastrophes occur, of course, but hope it's not that.

I'm also hoping what I said is not true, but just keep in mind that in some occasions you can't access the internet.

I understand the problems, and I'm optimistic that two add-on developers, Ragtek, and XenFans.com, will explain their decisions and/or perhaps find others to take on these projects. I committed lots of time and energy to using several of their products, along with sending Ragtek some money. Now I have to look elsewhere -- some are gone, others are still running in the hopes that a future XF won't make them inoperative.

I did speak up in one of the add-on threads, suggesting maybe another thread where we can talk about such matters and perhaps work together to devise new solutions with prospective add-on developers. All I got for my efforts to be positive was a warning from a moderator who said it wasn't appropriate to talk of the future of an add-on in a thread about that add-on. Go figure.

I understand the problems, and I'm optimistic that two add-on developers, Ragtek, and XenFans.com, will explain their decisions and/or perhaps find others to take on these projects. I committed lots of time and energy to using several of their products, along with sending Ragtek some money. Now I have to look elsewhere -- some are gone, others are still running in the hopes that a future XF won't make them inoperative.

I did speak up in one of the add-on threads, suggesting maybe another thread where we can talk about such matters and perhaps work together to devise new solutions with prospective add-on developers. All I got for my efforts to be positive was a warning from a moderator who said it wasn't appropriate to talk of the future of an add-on in a thread about that add-on. Go figure.

I'm sorry if I offended you, this was not meant if you take it this way.
I just said what I had to say. I can't help you with those problems :(

But, just for clarifying: A donation is given for given services (note the past tense), when you purchase an add-on you'll get updates and support ;)

This thread has also drifted off topic.

It is an add-on request thread, not a discussion on particular developers or why they are no longer active.

No offense taken.

The donation was given at Ragtek's forum for six months of add-ons, updates, and support. He vanished in two months. I understand that running a small business is a major hassle, and you often fail. So if he couldn't keep it up, I am OK with that. I'm not asking for my money back. But a reason would be helpful.

This thread has also drifted off topic.

It is an add-on request thread, not a discussion on particular developers or why they are no longer active.

Do you have any objection, then, to opening a discussion somewhere about the topic of the future of orphaned add-ons? Where do you suggest we put such a thread?

Well this is the thing...from my small experience trying to provide resources I can understand now why it is not appropriate to discuss another addon in an authors thread. Mind you I am not really a coder so this is not my source of income...but I can say that it is less than pleasant when someone in your resource thread is bringing up ways to move away from your addons...I can only imagine what a real developer feels when this happens knowing it can effect their professional situation. Regardless to the intent of the message it could be conceived as an attack to the author.

I understand your situation and hope what your looking for becomes available again and that your problems get remedied...I really do. I would help you myself if I was confident codewise that I could...but I am not. Good luck with your quest.

Had I been alerted to the existence of ongoing discussion about orphaned add-ons at the start of discussions asking about such a thread, that would have been it. Just a point of order. Let's move on and return to the add-on I requested.

Top Bottom