XF 1.5 Some users cannot see attachments when inserted into post

Zynektic

Hi there,

I just had a few users tell me that they cannot see attachments on a thread. The user attached the image and then inserted the full image. I can see them myself, we use proxy image and SSL and it works fine to me on the URL and the thread but some are reporting that they cannot see it. Two of them were on a Mac and one was on an HP laptop with Windows.

A few other users who tested it can see them fine on various devices so I am not sure what the issue is. Registered usergroup has permission to view attachments and upload them and we have no additional image handler other than one which uploads to another site and does not interfere with the attachment system as I disabled it, tried it again and they can still not view them.

Any ideas?

Note: They cannot see any images in that thread apparently.

Last edited:
When you edit the post is the image in an [IMG] tag or is it in an [ATTACH] tag?

If the former, then it's possible that the image has been uploaded to a post in a forum that not everyone has access to. Or a Conversation message.

That image is not visible to guests and could have other permission restrictions.

You can use the permissions analyzer on the node/user to determine whether they can view attachments.

The ones reporting it were logged in as I am speaking to them on the shoutbox though.

I've just checked the node permissions and set it to allow for attached images on the unregistered usergroup but no luck, they can view the thread too. Only permission restrictions on that node is posting threads is revoked on registered and allowed on administrator/moderator/content author.

I've just checked the node permissions and set it to allow for attached images on the unregistered usergroup
It is still not visible to guests.

To be clear, it is the node in which the image is originally attached which should have the permissions changed.

This is what I have set for unregistered usergroup, not sure why it is not showing still =\

I just uploaded them to imgur for now and edited the URL as users wanted to see it, shows for guests now that way. I'll look into the attachment issues.

Attachments

• permissions.webp
    permissions.webp
    5.5 KB · Views: 26
Usergroup permissions, unregistered can view attachments.

On the node it is not set to private and the permission is set to view attachments, it might be due to how it was uploaded perhaps. The image tags should not work with the URL above or does it allow it for attachment URL? that is all I could think of being wrong.

I am not sure why it shows for me though and not them when logged in, permissions looked fine as mentioned above.

I'll leave them as Imgur URL's for now.

It could be something like the attachment being in a deleted thread or post. The URL itself won't really tell you where the attachment has been served "from" (in terms of its host content).

Hey all - We appear to have a similar problem.Running a new XF 1.5 forum, and a registered user included many images in his thread as URLs, and even though the complete image URL shows in the source of the page, (HTTPS URLs, could that make a difference?), the images are not visible to other registered users. He says they show up fine for him. I checked that registered users have view permissions for node attachments, and in fact later in his thread as a test, he uploaded some images as attachments, and they display correctly - the problem seems to be just with images inserted as URLs.

Is there a general XF config option maybe we don't have set properly?

Thanks for any help!

If it's just images inserted from external sites, then they may be doing some sort of referrer-based blocking. An example would help (a link to a thread with the problem)

They are returning 403 forbidden errors. This is almost certainly hotlinking protection that they have in place.

I'm having the same issue, where regular users (who have permissions to view attachments) are receiving a 403 error, but when logged in as admin, I can see the attachments, with no errors. These attachments aren't being hot linked, but rather are on my server in the attachments directory. I have a user complaining about this.

Top Bottom