1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Some recent constant errors

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by vexx, Mar 3, 2014.

1. vexx

vexx Active Member

Hey,

Since yesterday, I'm starting to see this popping in the error log constantly:

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Could not open socket - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
    Generated By: Unknown Account, 20 minutes ago
    Stack Trace
    #0 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://smtp.gmai...')
    #1 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
    #2 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
    #3 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #4 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(62): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
    #5 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(9.99999785423)
    #6 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(198): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 9.99999785423, '')
    #7 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(321): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 9.99999785423, '', false)
    #8 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(274): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
    #9 /home/tesoelit/public_html/forums/deferred.php(18): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
    #10 {main}
    Request State
    array(3) {
    ["url"] => string(44) "http://www.tesoelite.com/forums/deferred.php"
    ["_GET"] => array(0) {
    }
    ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(36) "/forums/conversations/herro-der.152/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
    }
    }

Not sure what to make of it

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

XF can't connect to the mail server.

What settings are you using?
    The Default method should work in most cases.

3. vexx

vexx Active Member

I'm using Google's SMTP since the mail account is configured through Google Apps. The default method got my email in some user's spam boxes and while I tried to "fix" that, it wasn't 100% :)

4. vexx

vexx Active Member

5. vexx

vexx Active Member

Another update, it seems some confirmation emails are not sent when I recieve a traffic spike of registrees. Is this a bug that I should submit? Is it a Google thing? I have no idea what to do :)

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The errors are all related to connecting to Google's SMTP server.
    If it works intermittently then it could be server related - i.e. your server is getting overloaded or similar.

7. vexx

vexx Active Member

thinking this is related to the issue at hand, I got some more:

1. Unable to Connect to tcp://api-verify.recaptcha.net:80. Error #110: Connection timed out 31 minutes ago - library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235
    2. Delete...
      Unable to Connect to tcp://api-verify.recaptcha.net:80. Error #110: Connection timed out 53 minutes ago - library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235
    3. Delete...
      Could not open socket 59 minutes ago - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277

I know that these services may fail from time to time, I just find it weird that it's all happening now and I'm thinking it's a server issue or a XF issue somewhere. Any tips from where I can start investigating?

8. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

I am getting this today all of a sudden, also getting the failed email. I am using Mandrill but i see no errors there just in xenforo. Not sure why this popped all of a sudden, my settings are correct because it has been working fine for weeks. anyone else getting errors from mandrill today?

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If they're all happening suddenly (especially with multiple services), that would point to something on your server having issues connecting to external services. Your host may be able to look into it.

10. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

Still happening today. I have contacted my host but it seems odd this is only happening to some emails but not all, most go through while a few fail. Haven't been able to track the problem down yet.