Some questions from a long time vb user

I currently run vb 4.2 for my website and with the release of the highly undesirable vb 5 beta, I am looking into options for future changes to a new software package.

Considering that xenforo is built by ex vbulletin employees, I thought I would investigate further and so far I am impressed.

I have a few burning questions though, because as mentioned I am a long time vb user and I want to make sure the same functions I currently use in the form of add ons it viable in xenforo.

1. Is there a cms function for the software, or an add on that is similar to vbadvanced? Also is there an easy to use module system that displays across all pages like the vbadvanced integration system?

2. Am I able to setup an rss feed to post threads?

3. Is there an add on/bbcode or function that I can use to auto embed youtube links and make them an embedded video?

4. Is there any blog functionality?

5. As a long time tweaker of the vb template system since 3.5, how well will I adapt to xenforo?

6. How often is the software updated and do add ons manage to keep up in a timely manner? For example it took ages for vb 4 to get the same amount of add ones as vb 3 and even then there are many great add ons missing from the list.

7. Overall, is there a lot of add ons released for xenforo that would be considered heavy modifications or are most of the add ons cosmetic or limited in function? Also, how easy are they to install generally?

Thanks for you time.

1. Is there a cms function for the software, or an add on that is similar to vbadvanced? Also is there an easy to use module system that displays across all pages like the vbadvanced integration system?

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.26838/

3. Is there an add on/bbcode or function that I can use to auto embed youtube links and make them an embedded video?

Videos are automatically embedded within a post by posting the URL of the video. Or, the URL can be added by clicking the "Media" button in the editor as well.

For additional bbCode, use this: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-bb-code-manager.27125

Paid: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xi-blog.713/ and unpaid: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/ln-blog.91/

5. As a long time tweaker of the vb template system since 3.5, how well will I adapt to xenforo?

Other than getting used to where to search and edit the templates (which you'll get rather quickly), it is VERY simple :)

6. How often is the software updated and do add ons manage to keep up in a timely manner? For example it took ages for vb 4 to get the same amount of add ones as vb 3 and even then there are many great add ons missing from the list.

The latest xF software is great and beautifully stable. The last update was a couple of months ago and the addons being updated is completely dependant on the actual addon authors. Most of the 'big' addons here are completely supported and I haven't had any issues.

7. Overall, is there a lot of add ons released for xenforo that would be considered heavy modifications or are most of the add ons cosmetic or limited in function? Also, how easy are they to install generally?

Thanks for you time.

Install is a breeze, for the most part. Especially if you're used to installing mods/add-ons on the vB side. And, as far as 'heavy' or 'cosmetic', it depends on what you're looking for.

I am experienced with both vB 3.5 and XF. XF's template system is similar in some ways (e.g. template conditionals) but different in others. XF has many more template functions available such as xen:foreach which effectively replaces vB 3.5's "bit" templates. XF also supports a function called xen:include which allows you to inline templates within templates. My posts in this thread are a good template primer:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xen-if-is-or.20616/

This would be the add on to use for that: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/news-reader.417/

Screenshot from developer's site:

View attachment 34301
Sorry, but that's not correct.

That add-on acts as a "front end" to the functionality that Pixel Pirate is asking about which already exists.

2. Am I able to setup an rss feed to post threads?

Yes, this functionality is built in. No add-ons required.

The parsing of some HTML is a little bit off, but to be fair it works great otherwise.

Here's a site whose front page is powered by XenPorta which Arny mentioned and the news stories are all automatically populated via the News Feeder functionality where a number of RSS feeds have been added and configured to post threads in a certain forum, which in turn shows the threads on the front page:

http://www.gotitans.com

The software is updated very infrequently.

The way add-on development works in XenForo is a bit different to vBulletin. I don't think I've yet seen an add-on get broken by a XenForo update. I have nearly 30 add-ons out in the wild, and none were broken by the recent 1.1.3 upgrade. People who have been around longer than me may have some more feedback about earlier releases and the impact on add-ons but I'm lead to believe it isn't a big issue. As an add-on developer myself, if 1.2 came out tomorrow and my add-ons broke, I would fix them as quickly as humanly possible.

Xenporta is the main one http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.26838/
with loads of features
but there are others.

2. I dunno about RSS.

No need for addon. It's standard default.

See Arny above for 2 addons.

I found the switch very good. XF is worlds better. I LOVE tweaking XF.
There's a useful thing that when XF upgrades it saves all the templates you changed so you can transfer the changes to the new ones or of necessary, adapt them.
Also a special css template you can add bits to. Upgrades don't touch that one.

Updates are not frequent - IPB updates constantly which is why a lot of people don't like it.
The addons seem to keep up well but it's easier for them because updates not so frequent.

Lots of cosmetic tweaks and some quite big functional ones too.
There's a good Resource Manager on this site to search for addons. Also both the main mods are coders and help with stuff.
Generally I have found support for almost all addons is excellent. You can see from the support thread on the occasional one if it is not so good at support.

XF is not perfect. But nearly! Seriously I can't see anything in your queries that is a problem.

think I'm going to start mentioning this in my posts in pre-sales support, it's only fair.

Currently XenForo Ltd is going through a lawsuit which has been filed by Internet Brands (the owners of vBulletin). You will find lots of information about the lawsuit if you search for it. A trial date has been set for January 2013. XenForo is widely expected to win the case if it gets to court and some of the complaints against XenForo have already been dropped.

As a result of this impending lawsuit, the development of the next version of XenForo (XenForo 1.2) has been delayed. We were originally supposed to see a beta in June. It may be unlikely that we see the next version before the lawsuit is over.

In the meantime, you'd be buying an incredibly stable piece of software which performs great and is a pleasure to use and work with. Support tickets are still being dealt with by the community moderators here, Slavik and Jake Bunce. The developers have confirmed that any security updates and urgent bug reports will be resolved.

Here's a site whose front page is powered by XenPorta which Arny mentioned and the news stories are all automatically populated via the News Feeder functionality where a number of RSS feeds have been added and configured to post threads in a certain forum, which in turn shows the threads on the front page:

Exactly what I need. Cheers.

Currently XenForo Ltd is going through a lawsuit...

Yeah, I knew about that. Thanks for the info though.

Overall the software sounds awesome. I'll be moving to it early next year if everything goes right. Thanks everyone for your input.

Top Bottom