Some questions about permissions, "granulation" and searching options

Goldoff

This is my first post here after a nearly-smooth migration three days ago from vBulletin, which I have been running for the past 15 (yes, fifteen) years.

Everithing seems better than the old software, but now I find some unexpected functional issues.

I say "unexpected" because -afaik the fathers of XF are the same people who gave birth at least to vB4, and it seems they have forgotten some (for me) capital functions. I have been searching this forum and did not find answers to my concerns.

Maybe is my lack of experience with XF, but I feel this ACP very (too much?) simplified. In vB's ACP you had to fight with lots of parameters in order to properly configure user groups permissions, while here there are just some tickable slots.

1.- For instance, in vB I had several sales corner forums (now 'nodes') where only the OP can reply in his posts in order to update info, but not other users. The option was "can reply in his own threads" or "can reply in other's threads". Now, the only option I find is "can post replies", so the only choice I have is allowing everyone to reply in every thread or to prevent replies at all. Doesn't seem an improvement.

2.-Same for closing/opening own threads: if I want to give a group that possibility I have to grant it giving them a mod option, which allow them to manage all threads and not only their own.

3.- Being the admin, I had literally thousands of PM's (sorry, "conversations") which brought with me in the migration. And now I realise I cannot make a seach there because that option simply has disappeared. Really?

4.- I guess why the name of PM has changed to conversations: if you send a message to two or more users at once, everyone can see others replies! What? I just wanted to warn several users about something they did wrong, but don't need (don't want, actually) everyone reading other's replies... so, is there any chance to have a normal PM system again, this is, back to "private"?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Just in case this were useful to someone, I have managed to find an add-on that nearly solves points 3 and 4 here:

I understand though that points 1 and 2 should be developed by XF itself
Or maybe there are a couple of code lines that might be inserted?

EDIT: There is solution for points 1 and 2 as well, thanks to Andy's work.

and

tfn

Last edited:
Top Bottom