XF 2.2 Some people not receiving activation emails?

DarkGizmo

I've noticed recently some people will sign up and not receive their activation emails and I'll have to manually approve them in the admin panel. What could cause them not to receive the email if they have a working email address? I'd like to troubleshoot this if possible.

If the email isn't set up properly, it could be eating some in the recipients spam filter.

You can diagnose it with this site, or any number of others that are free.

Prime question.. what do you use to send your emails with? If your hosting provider is "sending" the emails via their offering.. that can be a major issue if you are on a shared environment as YOUR reputation is as good as the worst client they have on the same system. So if your hosting provider has had a lot of spammers (or folks reported as spammers) sending mail through their "it's offered free in your hosting package" email solution.... you are going to have problems.
If you are hosting on someone like Digital Ocean, Linode or such (low end VPS offerings) and "rolling your own email", their IP's are frequently on block lists because of the same reason.. it is easy and cheap for spammers to spin up a quick VPS, do a month or two of blasting spam, get the IP blocked and then go and spin up another VPS and rinse & repeat. The damage to those "old" IP's remain, and the hosting provider isn't going to go through the hassle of getting them cleaned up.

That's why, for reliability, most use outside providers that strictly deal with email delivery (I use Amazon SES and even with it, they have an IP on at least one spam list).

I've noticed recently some people will sign up and not receive their activation emails and I'll have to manually approve them in the admin panel. What could cause them not to receive the email if they have a working email address? I'd like to troubleshoot this if possible.
I had a similar problem. Routine email messages (including some activation emails) were being bounced regularly by Yahoo.com, AOL.com (both owned by the same company), and a couple of others because the email service I was using through our web host server was blacklisted.

I fixed about 99% of the problem by moving to Amazon SES for XF email messages. As Tracy perry says, once in a while I still have an email bounce using SES, however they are few and far between.

I have also noticed that from time to time an activation email will bounce because the user who is registering entered an incorrect email address. You would think that folks would be careful about typing correctly when registering...but it happens.

Top Bottom