As designed Some Member statistics I cannot enable Caching?

rdn

Affected version
2.1.10 patch 2
Stats I can't enable "Enable cache and cache for X minutes":
  • Most messages
  • Most points

I think this is roughly as expected. You can't edit member stats which are bundled with the core or any add-ons, but confusingly it does look as though checkbox and radio fields are set as read-only rather than completely disabled, so we should probably sort that.

In any event, you can create a new member stat and disable the core one if you want to customize the behavior here.

There's probably very little benefit to caching in general unless the queries performed are known to be slow or there is other complex logic happening. This doesn't apply to "Most messages" and "Most points" where the queries for each are highly performant.

I think they were originally cached, but this itself caused bug reports because your post count in the Most messages stat might say you have 1,234 posts but your member card might say you have 1,235 posts because you've made a post since the results were last cached.

So we're probably not going to cache by default.

As mentioned this is generally as expected as we consider most member stat elements to be "add-on controlled", including the caching state. (This means that an add-on update that changes this value will take the new value, which is significant if it weren't cached but it actually has significant overhead because it doesn't have an index, for example.)

We have made a tweak so that disabled checkboxes/radios have a visual difference so they look a bit less clickable.

Top Bottom