1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution for static website and forum?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Jim Dunleavy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Jim Dunleavy

Jim Dunleavy New Member

Hi, I just want to get a quick answer to this without spending hours trawling the site, so forgive me if the answer is already out there.

I run a popular UK hobby website hosted on a VPS and currently using static html pages for the resource content and a phpBB forum for community interaction. About 40% of my traffic is from mobile platforms.

If I were to transfer to xenForo, would I be able to: -
    • Run the software on my own server, using my existing domain name (e.g. www.mysite.co.uk/forum/)
    • Reproduce the html pages as tabs along the top with sub-sections navigable from each page
    • Keep said html pages consistent with the forum style and appearance
    • Import the forum and members database from the phpBB easily
    • Allow selected users (other than admin) to upload content to the 'static' pages

I'd also like to see an example of how the xenForo logo appears if I don't pay the extra to have it removed (and will I still be able to fully customise the banner section so visitors can see my familiar banner).
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Hi :)

All except the last bullet are easily possible using the default importer and page nodes.

The XenForo branding it visible in the footer:

Many styles change how it is displayed, however it must not be removed without branding removal.

3. Jim Dunleavy

Jim Dunleavy New Member

Thanks for the quick reply Liam.

I forgot to mention that currently the static pages are in the root of the domain, while the forum is (obviously) in the /forum/ subdirectory. Both the forum pages and the site index page are well placed in google etc, so I'd like to maintain that structure. Is that possible?
  4. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

There are redirectors for PhpBB as far as I know. You'll have to make some for the static pages :)

Jim Dunleavy likes this.
  5. Jim Dunleavy

Jim Dunleavy New Member

I've been playing around with a demo version and I can't find a way of creating a new tab at the top. Everything I create using nodes goes on the forum tab or the resources tab. Am I missing something?
  6. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

You have to either manually edit the template or use the nodes as tabs add on.

7. Jim Dunleavy

Jim Dunleavy New Member

OK, thanks.