Solution for static website and forum?

Jim Dunleavy

Hi, I just want to get a quick answer to this without spending hours trawling the site, so forgive me if the answer is already out there.

I run a popular UK hobby website hosted on a VPS and currently using static html pages for the resource content and a phpBB forum for community interaction. About 40% of my traffic is from mobile platforms.

If I were to transfer to xenForo, would I be able to: -
  • Run the software on my own server, using my existing domain name (e.g. www.mysite.co.uk/forum/)
  • Reproduce the html pages as tabs along the top with sub-sections navigable from each page
  • Keep said html pages consistent with the forum style and appearance
  • Import the forum and members database from the phpBB easily
  • Allow selected users (other than admin) to upload content to the 'static' pages

I'd also like to see an example of how the xenForo logo appears if I don't pay the extra to have it removed (and will I still be able to fully customise the banner section so visitors can see my familiar banner).

Last edited:
Hi :)

All except the last bullet are easily possible using the default importer and page nodes.

The XenForo branding it visible in the footer:

upload_2014-3-15_10-47-56.webp

Many styles change how it is displayed, however it must not be removed without branding removal.

Liam

Thanks for the quick reply Liam.

I forgot to mention that currently the static pages are in the root of the domain, while the forum is (obviously) in the /forum/ subdirectory. Both the forum pages and the site index page are well placed in google etc, so I'd like to maintain that structure. Is that possible?

Thanks for the quick reply Liam.

I forgot to mention that currently the static pages are in the root of the domain, while the forum is (obviously) in the /forum/ subdirectory. Both the forum pages and the site index page are well placed in google etc, so I'd like to maintain that structure. Is that possible?

There are redirectors for PhpBB as far as I know. You'll have to make some for the static pages :)

Liam

I've been playing around with a demo version and I can't find a way of creating a new tab at the top. Everything I create using nodes goes on the forum tab or the resources tab. Am I missing something?

Top Bottom