[SolidMean] ForumBackup

[SolidMean] ForumBackup 1.3.01

No permission to download
I have a PHP/SSH option almost available at the moment for this addon, but I'm not sure if I'd like to release it because it would involve saving a user's password for the server in the database to use it, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with than, even if it there is a type of encrypt/decrypt function to help obfuscate it.

But yes, Dropbox and possibly Skydrive are 2 offsite solutions I'm playing with as soon as I get some more time.

99% of our server is on Fiber Optic, So what's the problem (from our server to dropbox)?
Unless you mean downloading from dropbox to your pc.

The biggest disadvantage of this addon right now is that it saves the backups locally, which is fine if you're content with that, or have a separate system to move those off site.

Off site storage is probably the next step that is needed.

Another small update that I may plan before that is to add an option to run the code backup immediately after the database backup (similar to how it worked originally). That way, smaller forums could decide if the forums should be closed for the database backup, code backup, or both, and then schedule the database and code backups to their liking, or just say "Whenever the database is backed up, I want to backup the xfroot too".

I have a NAS at home so getting the backups saved on the server and a scheduled sync to NAS and other offsite backup options (Dropbox/Amazon/etc) is the next step.

I always trust Dropbox to store all my backups.
Don't need them to download on my PC.

I have 5-10GB files and 2GB database by the way.

Are you able to allow non-alphanumeric values to be used in the file name? I find it easier to recognize if I separate words using an underscore or hyphen.

PS The email fix is cool. :)

Last edited:
Are you able to allow non-alphanumeric values to be used in the file name? I find it easier to recognize if I separate words using an underscore or hyphen.

PS The email fix is cool. :)

The "looser" naming standards were going to come along with the PHP/SSH2 options that probably won't come to fruition, but I should make those available in the next small maintenance release.

But to make that change to your own installation:

In xfroot/library/SolidMean/ForumBackup/Option/FileName.php, line 32

Find:
Code:
if(!ctype_alnum ($optionValue))

Change to:
Code:
if (! strpbrk($optionValue, "\\/?%*:|\"<>") === FALSE)

And that should allow underscores and hyphens.

I have a backupsy VPS I run rsync with to store my backups off site. I'm building another server at home for a secondary backup location as well. You can never have enough backups..

For my vB forum, I have my own script. I love this one for XenForo though, nicely integrated with the AdminCP. Well done!

If you have debugging option for the add-on turned on, you should see output there. If debugging is turned off, then it just creates an empty file.

My chron just ran for the first time on its own, and it ran at 7:20 PM rather than midnight. Is my server time wrong? Should I be changing the chron manually to something like 4:40 AM, or does my server time need to be my changed?

Well, there could be a couple of things going on here. I assume it's the first issue, as your cron task ran 20 minutes off the hour.

1) If you have a new, or not busy forum, and no visitors, the cron won't run until a visitor triggers the deferred task to run the cron tasks.

To fix that, you can run the deferred task via a shell cron. This will trigger it every 5 minute, which will make sure any cron task that needs to run, will.
Code:
*/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php [absolute location of your xfroot]/deferred.php > /dev/null 2>&1

Depending on your system, that cron might have to run as root, or the user that the web server runs as. (nginx, nobody, www-user, etc.)

2) On the other hand, if you have regular visitors, your server time may not match your xenforo installation time. I'm not sure what XenForo uses for a default time zone (maybe the guest time zone?), but you may have to adjust accordingly. I haven't seen this very often, it's usually the result of just not having any visitors to trigger the task that run the cron tasks.

Hm. Well I don't think it would be #1 if the chron ran at 7:20 PM. I've had users today. It's not like no one visited my forum since midnight!

Regarding #2, who do I contact regarding this—my hosting company? And will that change all of my timestamps?

I would just adjust the cron timing in the Tools / Cron Entries section of your XenForo administration. You can set the database and file backups to run at any time. Maybe add 5 hours to it so that it runs 5 hours later.

SneakyDave updated [SolidMean] ForumBackup with a new update entry:

Update 12/10/2014: Version 1.1.4

12/10/2014: Version 1.1.4 (added functionality for SFTP addon)
- Added support for ForumBackup SFTP Options
- Made backup file name more flexible.

This version adds support for the ForumBackup SFTP add-on. It also adds a small enhancement for the backup file name noted here:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/solidmean-forumbackup.83057/page-7#post-838886

No other changes were made.

Read the rest of this update entry...

This update is mostly to add support for an SFTP add-on that I developed for it. If you've donated to this add-on already, you can get this SFTP addon free. Contact me for details.

Last edited:
Top Bottom