SoE's EverQuest next COMING

With the Landmark domain change, will the game no longer be called EverQuest Next?

EQN Landmark is not EQN. They are separate games.

EQN Landmark was renamed to just Landmark. They are clearly trying to turn EQN Landmark into a viable retail game. Hence the monetization and name change to separate it from EQN.

You should ignore EQN Landmark as it is just meant to test the voxel system of EQN. Wait for more information about EQN "proper" which is the real MMO. There has been virtually no new information about EQN "proper" in the last year since it was announced. Hopefully SOE Live will bring new information about the real game.

Overall it was a very underwhelming keynote.

They announced 3 new classes (Tempest, Elementalist, and Cleric) and re-announced Dark Elves and Rallying Calls (which were previously known):

http://www.eqnextfans.com/news/29317-everquest-next-information-from-the-soe-live

There is also an apparent admission that EQN and Landmark are in fact the same game:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2465...ht-in-front-of-you-shows-off-new-classes.html

It's fitting that we got our answers Friday at this year's SOE Live. Dave Georgeson, director of development for the EverQuest franchise, said he gets asked all the time, "When are you guys going to start working on EverQuest Next?" His response? "We're making all the systems that we need for EverQuest Next," said Georgeson, "and we're building them in Landmark."

"We are building this game right in front of you," he continued.

It certainly sounds like they have one game and one build, which makes perfect sense from a development perspective. At the keynote a year ago they basically said as much... that they were going to release an early version of the game called Landmark so people could test the destructible world. They also said Landmark would be free. But now confusion has spawned from their attempt to separate the "two games" and monetize Landmark as a separate game when in fact it is not. Landmark is not a separate game, nor is it free as originally promised.

Imagine if XenForo had marketed and sold XenForo 1.0 alpha as a separate product and then sold again the gold version. That is exactly what SOE is doing with EQN.

From what I have read there is still nothing new about any of the promised features of EQN such as the multi-classing system, horizontal progression (there are no character levels), and the smart AI system.

My initial reaction to that news is very negative. I don't like the cartoonish whimsical look of the graphics in Landmark at all. I also don't like the idea of removing levels or allowing people to go back and change important character development decisions.

Honestly, I've stopped waiting around for this game. From day one when I played Landmark, I just never got into it. I tried, I even built a coliseum as fitting to my site name. But I never really cared much about it.

My site was active at a point. We gave away 10 Unlimited BETA Keys and things were going well. But it's based on EQN and without any EQN content or information, there was simply nothing else to do. And I am getting to the point where I don't care anymore.

Here's to hoping Evolve can deliver.

I see the future. The promise of EQN will fade. Landmark will take its place. And when they try to expand the scope of Landmark (beyond a building game) it will immediately fail. This will happen in one week on August 27 which is when combat is being added to Landmark.

Right now Landmark is a building game so people judge it on that basis. Once they start to add MMO features then it will be judged as a MMO and it will fail horribly. SOE will try to escape this judgment by casting Landmark as an incomplete game in development but it won't matter because they have already taken people's money which creates an expectation.

They have begun selling cash cards for Landmark at Gamestop and Walmart. $20 buys you some Sony cash, access to Landmark, and bonus items and resources. The red card is limited edition:

gamecardbanner.webp

Think about this... a limited edition $20 pay-to-win for a pre-release alpha of EQN. Buy now!

This is absurd.

Wow that's so sad. I've known Aimee since PlanetSide 1. She's always been an awesome person. And with all of those EQN developers gone, I'm really glad I left this behind before I went even more money in it.

Sad to see SOE go. See how the new company takes over, but they did say they would keep things the same. Lets see how that turns out...

Sad to see SOE go. See how the new company takes over, but they did say they would keep things the same. Lets see how that turns out...
It's rather impossible for any company based on software development to remain the same when they layoff people on that particular team.

It's like saying...we are keeping kool-aid the same but we are removing sugar (a primary component of the original kool-aid) ...I might be alone on this one...but to me it can not be the same.

It's rather impossible for any company based on software development to remain the same when they layoff people on that particular team.

It's like saying...we are keeping kool-aid the same but we are removing sugar (a primary component of the original kool-aid) ...I might be alone on this one...but to me it can not be the same.

Very true. I don't know if they lost developers, but if they did then that expertise cannot simply be replaced.

They are now shifting focus from Landmark to EQN:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/producers-letter-june-2015.55243/

The reaction has been mixed to negative. It's an awkward transition that has surfaced questions about the intention and scope of Landmark as its own game.

The reality can't be known for sure. I still think there is just one build between the two games. At the very least they have done a poor job of defining their scope and managing expectations.

Terry said:
As the team has wrapped up the various pieces related to the wipe and the bugs associated with it, we have been shifting our focus and resources over to work on the highest priority tasks and systems that will be used in EverQuest Next. While we do this, we’re working in areas with high amounts of creative risk. This means that while we know what we want to do, we know it will take an unknown amount of iteration, tweaking and sometimes drastic direction changes to get these in game and working the way they need to. Because of this, we simply cannot commit to any dates, because until we get much closer, even our best estimates are educated (but still fairly wild) guesses.

It certainly sounds like "square one" with respect to these systems. Otherwise there should be far more certainty after 2 years of supposed development of EQN.

Top Bottom