EverQuest Arena Grand Opening!

Very nice, although I feel like the postbit background is a bit of an overkill, maybe some other textures? It's a bit hard to read and follow with the dark text.
Funny you mention that, it's something we're debating on. Some like it, some don't. We're actually going to let the community decide in a poll over the weekend.

Very nice, although I feel like the postbit background is a bit of an overkill, maybe some other textures? It's a bit hard to read and follow with the dark text.
Do you think this looks a bit better? It's a single sort of Watermark instead of the repeating graphic as seen on the live site.

wm.webp

SSL is (should) used for e-commerce websites because of credit/debit card data, but that's not its only use... the data between your user and your server is encrypted, which simply means; if someone is snooping, they'll see scrambled data.

It all depends on what you class as personal/private information, I feel as if passwords are private information that needs an additional layer of protection.

For the folk who aren't very tech-savvy, seeing that green 'https://' in their browser may just make them feel a little safer.

For the (low) cost of a certificate, it's well worth it (imo).

Anyway, it's not for me to decide, I'm just giving you my thought on the matter, like I said... a lot of webmasters don't care/know for it.

Quite a few people are starting to use SSL on their forums, @DRE, @MattW and @RoldanLT to name a few (off the top of my head).
Have to agree with Null. More and more sites are starting to use SSL, especially the sites with nginx and the support for SPDY. It's not like certificated cost ££hundreds any more, you can pick up a single domain SSL for $8 now.
I'm for it, I just have to admit that I know nothing about it.
Depending on your hosting set up, it's easy to set up and get running.

Have to agree with Null. More and more sites are starting to use SSL, especially the sites with nginx and the support for SPDY. It's not like certificated cost ££hundreds any more, you can pick up a single domain SSL for $8 now.

Depending on your hosting set up, it's easy to set up and get running.
Well I moved the site from Justhost to @Mike Edge so maybe he can comment on that since I have no idea how SSL works or where to start.

Great themes. I love it!

Suggestion: How about put some mouse hover effect in Youtube, Facebook and Twitter icon link?

View attachment 69020
I honestly wouldn't know what type of effect to use on those and as it stands now I have the Calendar Add-on from @AndyB which can display on the forum list for the day's events.

I'm also having work done on @Brogan's Featured Threads add-on which also displays on the forum list. When we add those two with the Featured Threads having a small hover effect, the node bgs, and overall graphic style and it seems like if I add more it'll have a "too busy" look.

Plus I still have XenMedia Gallery from @Chris D and Showcase from @Bob B to work on afterward so yeah. Maybe a little too much going on, on the forum list.

Hi Isabel,

You've done an amazing job with your forum. The artwork and attention to detail is fantastic.

I wish you the best of success.

Well I moved the site from Justhost to @Mike Edge so maybe he can comment on that since I have no idea how SSL works or where to start.

As Matt said, you'd need to purchase a SSL, which run about 10.00 a year now for low-end versions (secure enough for a forum) and would need to purchase a dedicated IP address from us to install it to on my server.

As Matt said, you'd need to purchase a SSL, which run about 10.00 a year now for low-end versions (secure enough for a forum) and would need to purchase a dedicated IP address from us to install it to on my server.
The price of SSL isn't bad, $10 would be worth it for me. How much would the dedicated IP be though? I assume this is an upgrade? As you no longer own xfHost is it even possible to get a dedicated IP anymore?

The price of SSL isn't bad, $10 would be worth it for me. How much would the dedicated IP be though? I assume this is an upgrade? As you no longer own xfHost is it even possible to get a dedicated IP anymore?

Yeap, Don't worry about the cost, I'll just give you one when I set up SSL for you, if you decide to go that route.

Yeap, Don't worry about the cost, I'll just give you one when I set up SSL for you, if you decide to go that route.
It seems @Null and @MattW think it's the route I should go and they both likely know much better than I would so yeah, I would like to go that route. I also have a second website that I'd like to bring over eventually. Though I'd say we should complete our prior services before we initiate new ones.

So as of today we're now 1 month old. I know it's not much to celebrate over but I'm happy about it. We've gotten a total of 38 members, 525 messages, and 113 discussions. It's not impressive results by any means but any growth is better than no growth right? Baby steps, baby steps.

Considering we're an Event Organizer for a game that is pretty much in the dark right now the main topic has been on the Landmark game instead which is just fine. So far we've given out a total prize value of $99.99 as well as 4 Unlimited access BETA Keys.

Now for this month we're running events to increase the Beta Key give-aways to 10 and I hope to offer up some additional rewards. I've also been trying to research how to do live streams and am hoping to run a build off event on Landmark soon.

As another update: The responsive design of the forum never took off. Unfortunately the developer got busy so that is pretty much that. I'm still looking for someone that thinks they can handle the task of making this responsive so please PM me if you think you can do it.

So there you have it, the results from a month. It's not much but it's something.

PS- Looking for people with an interest in EverQuest Next and Landmark to join the staff team to help engage users and run some things- PM if interested.

Last edited:
I must say, you've inspired me to do a bit more to my own forum! Two thumbs up from me.
Thank you very much and I'm glad I could somehow help your design decisions. If you need any more direct help let me know, I'd be happy to stop on by.

Looks good, but few suggestions:
1. I feel that it's hard to read with this background in the postbit + black font.

2. I would decrease the size of the background picture. You can use compression tools such as this:
https://kraken.io/web-interface

It would not have any effect on the quality of the picture, but it would load much faster (right now it loads pretty slow and hammering the page load.

Looks good, but few suggestions:
1. I feel that it's hard to read with this background in the postbit + black font.

2. I would decrease the size of the background picture. You can use compression tools such as this:
https://kraken.io/web-interface

It would not have any effect on the quality of the picture, but it would load much faster (right now it loads pretty slow and hammering the page load.
  1. A vote was held and ended yesterday regarding this. The post BG was voted to be removed and thus this is no longer an issue.
  2. I'm not sure which one you are referring to.

1. A vote was held and ended yesterday regarding this. The post BG was voted to be removed and thus this is no longer an issue.
  2. I'm not sure which one you are referring to.
The entire background of the website. If it's composed from different pictures than it would be smarter to combine them all to one big background picture and compress it. I'm referring to the windows at the top and the candles at the bottom.

The entire background of the website. If it's composed from different pictures than it would be smarter to combine them all to one big background picture and compress it. I'm referring to the windows at the top and the candles at the bottom.
Thanks, will look into this.

Top Bottom