SoE's EverQuest next COMING

Meh, I'm not too worried about a Guild Site. I made a Guild Site for a previous game but unfortunately that guild no longer plays so I'll probably use the style for this game instead. Simply change the image and it's done. Although I'm not sure if I will be making a guild or just joining one. I guess I can offer it to the Guild Leader if I do join one.

It's a fairly simple site, the homepage is PHP scripted to fetch data from a specific forum board. The forum in this case, SMF, can easily be altered to any forum or RSS feed.

dnl_pic.webp

Right now I'm still working on my EQN site which currently looks like this. Not sure what to do about the image. Leave it as a throwback or update it. Decisions decisions.

eqn1.webp

The Guild Site isn't Responsive unfortunately, the EQ one is though:

photo.webp

Last edited:
Currently at the time of this post Alpha is still not currently running. It should be soon as tweeted by the Devs. I'll be there for sure! We should all pick a server!

The game is unplayable for me, but these voxel games are intensive and my PC falls below the system requirements. But lots of people are having major performance problems.

This is very much an alpha release.

Yeah it's playable for me but it is very very choppy. Plus they haven't even implemented a way to find your claim so now I'm lost and have no idea where my claim is.

NDA Lifted!? Wow that was fast. The NDA was lifted already if anyone didn't know.

The game is unplayable for me, but these voxel games are intensive and my PC falls below the system requirements. But lots of people are having major performance problems.

This is very much an alpha release.
Is the game unplayable as in you truly can't get in and play it? Did you buy a Trailblazer or Explorer pack?

Oh that sucks. The Alpha is a resource hog for sure, I get an average of 10 FPS and I have a pretty good computer. Since the NDA is lifted you can probably catch some people live streaming. If I knew how, I would.

What sucks is the waste of money, did you buy a Trailblazer or Explorer pack?

They posted a detailed update explaining the problems. Basically there were some show-stopping bugs in the game server which have now been fixed.

The client runs better now, but it lags like crazy when I move.

Nicely done. I've been sick so haven't been playing much at all but I tried it out today and I was having so many problems. The Add tool wasn't adding anything, Delete wasn't deleting anything. It was rough. Not much I could do aside from gather. Managed to make myself a Copper Pick and some Grappling Hook thing though. No idea what that is for but meh.

In all honesty, this game just confuses me. I really just want the regular MMORPG EverQuest Next to come out.

I did manage to get my game frozen on the loading screen at least which allowed me to record the 50 second song that plays during it: (And yes it sounds out of tune like that, not sure why, guess the song is in Alpha too).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PS- If anyone bought the Trailblazer pack and doesn't need the 4 included Beta Keys, I'll buy em from ya.

Last edited:
Honestly, I can't blame the game. My PC is old. It's a 1.8GHz Core2 with 4GB RAM and a GeForce 8600. Lots of other people can play the game just fine, including my friend to whom I gave my login.

I have just ordered parts for a new PC. I should have that up and running next week.

In the meantime you can check out player creations on this page:

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/media/playercreations

Some good pics and vids.

Got my new PC up and running. Landmark runs great.

The building and crafting system is pretty sweet. I am just starting to build my bridge. But I am finding the resource gathering to be very tedious. And the building tools have a learning curve.

The devs have announced they intend to sell resources for real money which I disagree with strongly. People are calling this "pay to win," but the devs say the game will have a system of progression that doesn't involve resource gathering, therefore it's OK to sell resources for real money. It's always a problem when a profit model lacks a real proposition. When a game creates its own scarcity and then charges money based on that it's a problem. Even the D3 auction house had more of a proposition than this... at least that was a real service to players. And this profit model is set to be implemented in beta. This is even more inappropriate considering that Landmark itself is already a pre-release of EQN proper. To be selling an alpha of a pre-release for $60 and then monetizing it in such a way is not at all becoming.

Having said that, Landmark is made to show off the destructible environment of EQN, and I have to say that feature of the game is very cool. If EQN proper can build a good MMO around that then it will be a success.

Part of me is concerned that the monetizing of Landmark will distract from the development of EQN proper. EQN was announced 7 months ago, and so far all new information, videos, etc has been focused on Landmark and the building system. There has been nothing new about any of the promised features of EQN proper such as the multi-classing system, horizontal progression (there are no character levels), and the smart AI system. I would have expected some basic information at this point, such as naming specific classes and races that have been confirmed, but there has been nothing. Meanwhile Landmark is increasingly being treated as its own game complete with monetization.

Nice post, well written. I haven't played Landmark since my last post (a month ago). While it's an alright game, it's not the one I'm really interested in. I think I might get back in and give it another shot. Soon as these updates install anyway.

So honestly, I don't know. I'm in the game right now and I find myself getting bored. There's an element to it that is missing for me. And yes, I know that as of right now it is still in Alpha but overall, the game just feels bland.

Running around trying to find specific resources doesn't feel fun, it feels more like a chore. I can't build anything on my claim bcause apparently I need tens of thousands of the resources to do it and I just don't feel like wasting that much time.

The ability to dig yourself into the Earth really isn't as appealing to me as I thought it would be. I constantly find myself having to dig my way out again and just wishing I could jump high.

Character style is a big turn off for me. EverQuest and EverQuest II both used the more realistic model. And coming from Aion, one of the most beautiful MMORPG games currently available, this feels like I'm stepping back in time. Sure the Environment looks great and who can say the time of day features aren't awesome? But the characters really look off and I feel the excuse that they gave for it is very weak at best and is more of a lack of effort. Who cares about SOEmote? Truly. If they polled their players I bet less than 5% even have it. I'd much rather have traditional push button emotes and upgraded character models than cartoonish characters just so my character can make a smirk. Heck, the only time you really notice anything like facial features is when you're standing still in a town or strolling around the town square. The other 85% of the game time you're seeing yourself in 3rd person from a distance while you travel the world and engage various enemies or in Landmark's case, trees.

I created my site for EQN, not EQNL and honestly, I really hope this doesn't disappoint me. Time to focus on my Evolve site for now.

I had to explain this to some people recently, so copy/paste here as well:

Here is the source:

https://forums.station.sony.com/lan.../the-business-of-eqn-landmark-revealed.22393/

Phase 2: We start selling stuff. Not a lot of stuff. Basically, just resources and character outfits. This phase will happen in the latter part of Alpha.

• Outfits are a no-brainer, and we’ve all seen this kind of offering in other games. You buy an outfit and it’s yours forever. Landmark’s a little different in that we won’t have appearance slots. So, if you want to keep that appearance (even when we have combat stats in the game), never fear. You can add stats and abilities to any appearance you buy, so you get the stats AND still keep using the cool outfit you bought.
  • Resources. Currently, our progression game is limited by resources, so selling those resources may seem like we’re allowing you to pay for power. But our current game progression is not the intended real progression. Very soon, you’ll only need handfuls of resources to make picks and other tools. Tool and item progression will be limited by activities completed and achievements gained… not by resources. So, letting people buy resources is really just a time shortcut to let people build more easily. (NOTE: You can also trade with other players for resources, and, of course, you can go gather them yourself. The SC option is just a shortcut.)

So you can see how they are justifying their business model of selling resources. It is like I said, they justify the business model with a negative proposition (saying what progression is not).

So basically they have completely failed to justify a highly dubious business model. This combined with the complete lack of new information about EQN-proper in 10 months since its announcement paints a very obvious picture for me... they are riding the hype of EQN-proper in order to wrongly monetize the incomplete alpha that is Landmark, while they gradually shift the focus to Landmark as the real game. Did anyone else notice the new domain name?

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/home

This as opposed to the old one:

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/

Top Bottom