1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Network/dating system scripts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Claudio, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

I have a customer that needs to have a social network or a dating system. The main problem is that all the reviews I read are 99% false reviews. The most reviews talk very good about a product, but when I ask for support or try to see where the company is located I see that all the script is a scam.

Demo works, but there is no support! There are also bugs like in any software but I´m used to compare the support with Xenforo or vBulletin and I see that there are big differences.

Can anybody suggest me a good script I don´t care to pay 600$, I just want a good solution and a robust script.

PD: So bad that diaspora doesn´t have installation through a php file like Wordpress o Xenforo :(
  2. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

http://www.boonex.com is the only software I'm aware of. Back when I was looking into this sort of thing it had a fair reputation. I'm not sure how it is now, but it doesn't hurt to consider.
  3. rexxxy

rexxxy Active Member

check out phpfox.com its pretty good solid support and quick updates.
    0xym0r0n likes this.
  4. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

I forgot about that one :)
  5. Banana Pup

Banana Pup Well-Known Member

Social Engine is pretty good too and has a paid bridge with xF too. Only down side of SE is it is pretty resource intense but it is basically a almost perfect clone of facebook.
  6. Claudio

I read about phpfox and Social Engine. Social engine has many bugs and lack of support while phpfox is better but still in the same range of support
  7. Banana Pup

Banana Pup Well-Known Member

SE does have a lot more add-ons though and active 3rd party developers for paid mods. Sadly though, most of the useful mods in SE do cost money. One of the really nice 3rd party add-ons besides the forum bridge is the single SSO with OpenID, but it's $149.99. IMO if your doing this for just a few friends or whatever go phpfox, if your looking to build a social network for a country or a niche content you want to go large with I'd go SE.
  8. Claudio

9. Claudio

see also this thread with all the list of bad things:

10. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

I came across this topic as I'm looking for a social network built around photo sharing. I found SocialEngine's Board Theme to be really cool:

But after all the comments I've read it looks like it might not be the best solution. Any ideas if phpfox or ning or anything else can mimick that sort of display of photos?
  11. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member