Social Network/dating system scripts?

Claudio

I have a customer that needs to have a social network or a dating system. The main problem is that all the reviews I read are 99% false reviews. The most reviews talk very good about a product, but when I ask for support or try to see where the company is located I see that all the script is a scam.

Demo works, but there is no support! There are also bugs like in any software but I´m used to compare the support with Xenforo or vBulletin and I see that there are big differences.

Can anybody suggest me a good script I don´t care to pay 600$, I just want a good solution and a robust script.

PD: So bad that diaspora doesn´t have installation through a php file like Wordpress o Xenforo :(

Social Engine is pretty good too and has a paid bridge with xF too. Only down side of SE is it is pretty resource intense but it is basically a almost perfect clone of facebook.

I read about phpfox and Social Engine. Social engine has many bugs and lack of support while phpfox is better but still in the same range of support

SE does have a lot more add-ons though and active 3rd party developers for paid mods. Sadly though, most of the useful mods in SE do cost money. One of the really nice 3rd party add-ons besides the forum bridge is the single SSO with OpenID, but it's $149.99. IMO if your doing this for just a few friends or whatever go phpfox, if your looking to build a social network for a country or a niche content you want to go large with I'd go SE.

SE does have a lot more add-ons though and active 3rd party developers for paid mods. Sadly though, most of the useful mods in SE do cost money. One of the really nice 3rd party add-ons besides the forum bridge is the single SSO with OpenID, but it's $149.99. IMO if your doing this for just a few friends or whatever go phpfox, if your looking to build a social network for a country or a niche content you want to go large with I'd go SE.

After using SE4 for about 7 months I had to give up. The support was absolutely non responsive and when they do it is a round about question asking to access my code and no real solutions of how to admin the CP. I had dreamed of a private social network for my customers since MySpace came out years ago and tried EVERYTHING on the market from SE to Vbulletin to PHPfox. Recently I asked SE to refund my money because I just wasted almost a year with their software and only 1 of 3 people I invited could complete the registration. A friend suggested PHPfox and I just installed it yesterday and of my list of people who I invited EVERYONE had a quick and pleasant experience registering. This is just what I wanted. I hope SE gets their product and their tech support more functional soon as it could be a great product. SE ended up refunding all of my tech support fees of some $300 and my customers are happy with my PHPFox site. Even though it lacks a good mobile app this is the best solution at the time and I am very happy with it.
http://www.cmscritic.com/socialengine-review/

see also this thread with all the list of bad things:
http://socialenginebase.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6475

icon_evil.gif

Sick of upgrading endlessly - and each time I upgrade the core.csv - I've got to REWRITE THE FREAKING TERMS OF SERVICE AND PRIVACY STATEMENT - because SE removes the old .csv !!!!!!
Something as simple as this should be included in a "page" - as a web-designer myself - this is just poor/lazy scripting from Webligo!

icon_evil.gif

Got APC installed (had to pay for it - and it's working properly) and each time I set APC in SE4 - SE throws a FREAKING ERROR - with "I'm sorry ......." (See error below)
My hoster has assured me the problem is with SE.

2011-10-25T01:19:54+00:00 CRIT (2):
Error Code: e7663a
exception 'Zend_Cache_Exception' with message 'The apc extension must be loaded for using this backend !' in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Cache.php:208

icon_twisted.gif

The Forum still has not been improves after Webligo promised they would release a free upgrade over a year ago! No polls in the forum, no smiles...I had a great PHPBB forum (like this forum one) and had to ditch it for SE. I'm furious.

They no longer monitor this forum! We all come here for help or to help others and there is no SE representative. Its just pay $50 for support, well F that.

I can't upgrade. There is 1 guy at Webligo who is supposed to test the upgrade script and he doesn't at all. It crashes people's sites with every new release. This just second's Fred's comments about lazy/poor scripting.

This entire crappy script and its not even all theirs: they outsourced Fancyupload, TinyMCE and Mootools. Member's can't upload pics from an iphone/ipad. The script editor sucks. The whole site is slow. Its garbage.

I recommend anyone looking at SE4 look elsewhere like PHPfox3 (or anything else). I could go on with Rants all day. Its hard to blame Webligo because they were just highschool/college kids who started SE, so what do you expect. Yet that is no excuse! The have no managment and lazy programming. Its not a good open sourse software becauae they don't allow the community to help improve it. Its all pay for plugins, etc. I hate my experience with SE.

I came across this topic as I'm looking for a social network built around photo sharing. I found SocialEngine's Board Theme to be really cool:

http://dirtyladle.socialengine.com/

But after all the comments I've read it looks like it might not be the best solution. Any ideas if phpfox or ning or anything else can mimick that sort of display of photos?

Top Bottom