Social Groups for XenForo

Social Groups for XenForo [Paid] 2.1.33 Patch Level 6

No permission to buy ($49.00)
We recently installed this and it seemed to be working well, until I tried to delete some test groups I had created.

I was under "Owner Tools" in the test group and began the deletion process. Not exactly sure which deletion option I chose first, but I ended up getting a cascade of errors (see attached file).

Now, when I, the group creator/owner, go to /community/groups, the two test groups are listed. When I click on a Test Group name (Group Test 3, in this instance), I am directed to:

domain/community/forums/group-test-3.82/
which gives a "Page not found" error.

When a non-member visits /community/groups, they can see my test groups (I set them to be visible to non-members), but when they click on the same test group name (Group Test 3), they are directed to:

domain/community/group/group-test-3.3/info

Which shows the group icon, info, and tabs. I realize this could be by design, because without the existing error condition I am owner/member and thus being directed to the group forum, while the other person isn't a member and is being directed to the area where membership can be requested.

I found I can access the "owner tools" by navigating to the /group/group-test-3.3/info URL, but any attempt to "delete group" or "delete main group forum" results in new errors.

I initially suspected that it was due to me having "hard delete" permission set to "No" in "Group owner permissions". But even with all permissions set to "yes" / "unlimited", the errors persist when attempting to delete the group.

Error list:

PnGTSH0.png

See attached for full error info.

Attachments

Last edited:
We recently installed this and it seemed to be working well, until I tried to delete some test groups I had created.

I was under "Owner Tools" in the test group and began the deletion process. Not exactly sure which deletion option I chose first, but I ended up getting a cascade of errors (see attached file).

Now, when I, the group creator/owner, go to /community/groups, the two test groups are listed. When I click on a Test Group name (Group Test 3, in this instance), I am directed to:

domain/community/forums/group-test-3.82/
which gives a "Page not found" error.

When a non-member visits /community/groups, they can see my test groups (I set them to be visible to non-members), but when they click on the same test group name (Group Test 3), they are directed to:

domain/community/group/group-test-3.3/info

Which shows the group icon, info, and tabs. I realize this could be by design, because without the existing error condition I am owner/member and thus being directed to the group forum, while the other person isn't a member and is being directed to the area where membership can be requested.

I found I can access the "owner tools" by navigating to the /group/group-test-3.3/info URL, but any attempt to "delete group" or "delete main group forum" results in new errors.

I initially suspected that it was due to me having "hard delete" permission set to "No" in "Group owner permissions". But even with all permissions set to "yes" / "unlimited", the errors persist when attempting to delete the group.

Error list:

PnGTSH0.png

See attached for full error info.

Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce any of that. Can you give exact steps you did to get to this point?

Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce any of that. Can you give exact steps you did to get to this point?

At this point all I have to do is create a new group and then try to delete it and I get the errors. Now I have five or six test groups with no way to delete them. If I uninstall the add-on will it delete the groups? If not, how can I delete the groups? Is there an SQL statement I can use to clean up the mess?

I would say at this point, uninstall the addon and reinstall. That will remove all data associated with the addon. Start with a clean slate.

I would say at this point, uninstall the addon and reinstall. That will remove all data associated with the addon. Start with a clean slate.

Thanks, will do. For what it's worth I've noticed that it appears I can delete groups created by other members, but cannot delete groups I created myself (I get the errors).

Did a fresh install.

Followed these steps:
  • Left group owner/moderator/member permissions at default.
  • Created node category "Private Groups" and specified it in "Social Groups -> Group Settings -> Forum Categories"
  • Granted my usergroup (Admin) all "yes" permissions in "Social Groups" category.
  • Created a test group with name "Fun Test 1" and description
  • Checked: "create group forum"; "non-members can view"; "create media area"
  • Unchecked: everything else
  • Clicked "Submit"
Now it takes me to the "info" page for the new test group (/community/group/fun-test-1.1/info).

Clicking the "Group Forum" tab directs me to: /community/forums/fun-test-1.87/ which shows the new empty forum area.

Clicking Owner tools tab - "delete main group forum" brings up "please confirm you want to delete the following group forum: Fun Test 1", then I click "delete" and get another box: "Oops! We ran into some problems. You must create a forum or group discussion area".

NOW, clicking the "Group Forum" tab directs me to: /community/forums/fun-test-1.87/ which generates a "page not found" error.

If I repeat the above (Owner Tools - "Delete Main Group Forum") after that error, the confirmation dialog is a little different the second time - the group name is now missing from the confirmation dialog. It just says "please confirm you want to delete the following group forum" and then it's blank - group name is not there. If I click "delete" to confirm, I get a server error this time:

Code:
Error: Call to a member function getBehavior() on null in src/addons/Snog/Groups/Pub/Controller/Group.php at line 1684
[LIST=1]
[*]Snog\Groups\Pub\Controller\Group->actionAdminForum() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 350
[*]XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 261
[*]XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 113
[*]XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 55
[*]XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2184
[*]XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 391
[*]XF::runApp() in index.php at line 20
[/LIST]

Owner Tools - "Delete Group Media" brings up "please confirm you want to delete the following: Fun Test 1 Media", then I click "delete" and gives me a success message. Seems to work. Delete Group Media no longer visible under "Owner Tools".

Owner Tools - "Delete Group" brings "please confirm you want to delete the following group: Fun Test 1", then I click "delete" and get server error:

Code:
ErrorException: [E_WARNING] Creating default object from empty value in src/addons/Snog/Groups/Pub/Controller/Group.php at line 1908
[LIST=1]
[*]XF::handlePhpError() in src/addons/Snog/Groups/Pub/Controller/Group.php at line 1908
[*]Snog\Groups\Pub\Controller\Group->actionAdminGroup() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 350
[*]XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 113
[/LIST]

Last edited:
Did a fresh install.

Followed these steps:
  • Left group owner/moderator/member permissions at default.
  • Created node category "Private Groups" and specified it in "Social Groups -> Group Settings -> Forum Categories"
  • Granted my usergroup (Admin) all "yes" permissions in "Social Groups" category.
  • Created a test group with name "Fun Test 1" and description
  • Checked: "create group forum"; "non-members can view"; "create media area"
  • Unchecked: everything else
  • Clicked "Submit"
Now it takes me to the "info" page for the new test group (/community/group/fun-test-1.1/info).

Clicking the "Group Forum" tab directs me to: /community/forums/fun-test-1.87/ which generates a "page not found" error

Clicking Owner tools tab - "delete main group forum" brings up "please confirm you want to delete the following group forum: Fun Test 1", then I click "delete" and get another box: "Oops! We ran into some problems. You must create a forum or group discussion area".

If I repeat the above (Owner Tools - "Delete Main Group Forum") after that error, the confirmation dialog is a little different the second time - the group name is now missing from the confirmation dialog. It just says "please confirm you want to delete the following group forum" and then it's blank - group name is not there. If I click "delete" to confirm, I get a server error this time:

Code:
Error: Call to a member function getBehavior() on null in src/addons/Snog/Groups/Pub/Controller/Group.php at line 1684
[LIST=1]
[*]Snog\Groups\Pub\Controller\Group->actionAdminForum() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 350
[/LIST]

Owner Tools - "Delete Group Media" brings up "please confirm you want to delete the following: Fun Test 1 Media", then I click "delete" and gives me a success message. Seems to work. Delete Group Media no longer visible under "Owner Tools".

Owner Tools - "Delete Group" brings "please confirm you want to delete the following group: Fun Test 1", then I click "delete" and get server error:

Code:
ErrorException: [E_WARNING] Creating default object from empty value in src/addons/Snog/Groups/Pub/Controller/Group.php at line 1908
[LIST=1]
[*]XF::handlePhpError() in src/addons/Snog/Groups/Pub/Controller/Group.php at line 1908
[*]Snog\Groups\Pub\Controller\Group->actionAdminGroup() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 350
[/LIST]

Okay, that gives me something to try, I'll let you know once I have a chance to get it looked into.

Okay, that gives me something to try, I'll let you know once I have a chance to get it looked into.

I'm about to edit it a little - don't try anything yet. I've created 10 groups with slightly different settings to see what might be causing it.

OK it seems pretty unpredictable and hard to pin down.

I've created several dozen test groups, with "create group forum" always checked, and:
  1. "media area" checked and "non-members can view" checked
  2. "media area" unchecked and "non-members can view" checked
  3. "media area" checked and "non-members can view" unchecked
  4. "media area" unchecked and "non-members can view" unchecked
The only combination of the above that seems reliably error-free is the last one (both unchecked). That never generates the error.

The one that seems "worst" - i.e. most likely to generate errors - is #1, with them both checked. But combinations 1-3 almost always generate the error. So far, going on 50 groups now, #4 combination has never generated the error. All three other combos are unreliable, but usually generate the error.

Hope this helps.

OK it seems pretty unpredictable and hard to pin down.

I've created several dozen test groups, with "create group forum" always checked, and:
  1. "media area" checked and "non-members can view" checked
  2. "media area" unchecked and "non-members can view" checked
  3. "media area" checked and "non-members can view" unchecked
  4. "media area" unchecked and "non-members can view" unchecked
The only combination of the above that seems reliably error-free is the last one (both unchecked). That never generates the error.

The one that seems "worst" - i.e. most likely to generate errors - is #1, with them both checked. But combinations 1-3 almost always generate the error. So far, going on 50 groups now, #4 combination has never generated the error. All three other combos are unreliable, but usually generate the error.

Hope this helps.

I think there may be something on your wrong system or there is another add-on interfering somewhere. I can not replicate it at all.

If you would like, PC me a link to the site and an full admin account and we can try to debug it on your site.

ozzy47 updated Social Groups for XenForo 2.1+ with a new update entry:

Social Groups for XenForo 2.1+ Update 2.1.20

Fix - Group not being deleted when the group forum is deleted and a group discussion area is not present
Fix - Group not being deleted when the group discussion area is deleted and a group forum is not present

Templates Changed:
snog_groups_actions

Phrases changed:
snog_groups_discussion_delete_warning
snog_groups_forum_delete_warning

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom