Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Is there any way to disable private messages from public (membership approval disabled) groups? All my users are getting spammed to death.

Is there any way to disable private messages from public (membership approval disabled) groups? All my users are getting spammed to death.
There are only two instances when a PC is created.

1) To notify site admins when a new group is created.
2) To notify group owners when someone joins their group.

Check "New Member Alerts" and/or "New Group Alerts" in the add-on options. That will change from sending a PC, to just an alert.

Any other alerts are controlled by the user in their alert preferences.

I'm currently not sure about moving to Xenforo 2.0 as its going to take a while to get the look and feel right, my forum is quite new and I would like to add groups. If I use this version of social groups on my existing forum 1.5.16 then when I eventually update to Xenforo 2.0 I assume all the group data will also move with the new system assuming I get the corresponding version of social groups for Xenforo 2.0?

I'm currently not sure about moving to Xenforo 2.0 as its going to take a while to get the look and feel right, my forum is quite new and I would like to add groups. If I use this version of social groups on my existing forum 1.5.16 then when I eventually update to Xenforo 2.0 I assume all the group data will also move with the new system assuming I get the corresponding version of social groups for Xenforo 2.0?
That would be correct. However, I would suggest waiting on groups until you are already running XF 2.

There is a charge for the XF 2 version and special pricing for owners of the XF 1 version ends in 3 days.

Hi Snog!

I came to check out your Social Groups module as a system for our servers "Guilds" after reading some discouraging, recent, reviews about a similar product in the community.

Your screen shots look very nice, but I am curious if there is any future plans to add the ability for an event calendar into the package? With groups, or in my case guilds, planning real life (or in game) events are a big part and such a feature is very useful. So I wanted to ask.

I would say in group chat, but really most people have a third party application like Discord so that is not as important...they have forums for that purpose.

Last question: Does your module require the use of XenForo Gallery to be installed for handling images and so forth?

Thanks much!

J

Hi Snog!

I came to check out your Social Groups module as a system for our servers "Guilds" after reading some discouraging, recent, reviews about a similar product in the community.

Your screen shots look very nice, but I am curious if there is any future plans to add the ability for an event calendar into the package? With groups, or in my case guilds, planning real life (or in game) events are a big part and such a feature is very useful. So I wanted to ask.

I would say in group chat, but really most people have a third party application like Discord so that is not as important...they have forums for that purpose.

Last question: Does your module require the use of XenForo Gallery to be installed for handling images and so forth?

Thanks much!

J
There are no plans to add an event calendar to the XF 1.x version.

The photo system does not require the Gallery to be installed. It is a VERY rudimentary photo system with very limited functionality.

the XF2 Version has a calendar.

Thank you but that is only helpful to people who are able, interested or willing to update to XF2. Sadly, I have too many modules that are in use which are not compatible yet - so there updating will be a task and not one in the recent future.

@Snog let me know if that could be a paid enhancement for XF1.5.17

Thanks to you both!

J

A patch to the current version has been placed on the download server. If you own this add-on, log into your account on my site and download the add-on. Then just upload the files to your server. There's no need to import the XML if you are already running version 1.4.3.

NOTE: This is a security patch. (actually more of a script kiddie preventer patch)

Last edited:
A patch to the current version has been placed on the download server. If you own this add-on, log into your account on my site and download the add-on. Then just upload the files to your server. There's no need to import the XML if you are already running version 1.4.3.

NOTE: This is a security patch. (actually more of a script kiddie preventer patch)
Unfortunately if this is a security update of any type, it should be divulged as such appropriately as per the guidelines here:

https://xenforo.com/community/help/resource-vulnerabilities/

Please release a proper update in the RM.

Unfortunately if this is a security update of any type, it should be divulged as such appropriately as per the guidelines here:

https://xenforo.com/community/help/resource-vulnerabilities/

Please release a proper update in the RM.
As I said here...
actually more of a script kiddie preventer patch
It was simply people TRYING to inject code causing errors. No code could be injected, but it did cause massive amounts of errors.

In any case, I'll issue an update notice via the RM.

Snog updated Social Groups for XenForo 1.x with a new update entry:

Security Update

The patch cures database sql prepare errors when someone tries to inject code into a variable.

There was never any danger of anyone actually accessing any information as a result of the errors.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
As I said here...

It was simply people TRYING to inject code causing errors. No code could be injected, but it did cause massive amounts of errors.

In any case, I'll issue an update notice via the RM.
Thanks for clarifying. That’s probably ok in that case but probably worth always being specific about such things 🙂

And just for those that might be wondering. The XF2 version does not contain the affected code so no patch is needed for that.

Can I delete all the codes in snog_socialgroups_extra.css? To save CSS file size.

As I didn't display/use Categories for Group Forums.
I redirect its URL to /groups/.

Can I delete all the codes in snog_socialgroups_extra.css? To save CSS file size.

As I didn't display/use Categories for Group Forums.
I redirect its URL to /groups/.
That css should be empty if you haven't added any icons for group categories, etc.. But...

You would be better off disabling these two template modifications...

extra.webp

That way of you ever change your mind, everything will still be intact and you'll just need to re-enable the modifications.

Reactions: rdn
Hello! Just a small suggestion today.

When you create a group subforum with the "Guest" permission, there's currently no way for a member to tell which ones are guest friendly and which ones aren't. Can an icon or flag of some sort be added to mark those as guest-friendly? Alternatively, allow us to set a forum description on the group subforums and that could be manually indicated.

Thanks!

Hello! Just a small suggestion today.

When you create a group subforum with the "Guest" permission, there's currently no way for a member to tell which ones are guest friendly and which ones aren't. Can an icon or flag of some sort be added to mark those as guest-friendly? Alternatively, allow us to set a forum description on the group subforums and that could be manually indicated.

Thanks!
You could always include some indication in the forum name couldn't you?

Either way, like XenForo 1.x itself, my add-ons for XF 1.x are in maintenance mode. This means that they will receive bug fixes and security updates only. It is highly unlikely new features will be added.

Top Bottom