So you're thinking of buying an iPhone? Here's something to consider...

Exactly. If this thread was about the plight of the workers, it would focus on Foxconn, but it doesn't.

Instead, its more about having a burr under their saddle about Apple. The thought process goes something like this:
  1. I hate Apple
  2. Let me dig up some dirt on them to make them look bad
  3. Hey, how about this Foxconn thing?
Then when you rightly challenge them on Intel, they clam up. Its beyond hypocritical. Its exploiting those workers for their personal gain too. Sad part is, they have no interest in helping those workers at all. Their answer is boycott Apple. That gets bak to their motivation: "I hate Apple. I want to hurt them."
Its sad, really.

There's always an agenda.

I have had charity workers come to the door asking for donations for <insert cause here> and i know they aren't doing it to help the affected, the first thing i ask them is what % of donations per £ goes to the affected, what percentage goes on admin cost, marketing (tv) what is your cut? because they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts are they? They normally clam up and can't provide documentation the info stuttering trying to change the subject. My point, money, the root of all evil and the other everyone has an agenda, a motive to get ahead hence, nobody cares. Does it make it right? anyway, not preaching here just stating facts, just as much as yourself.

I'm still purchasing my iStick.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...apple-the-late-steve-jobs-20111014-1lnj5.html

Have read of that first. You would expect the worlds most profitable company to know better. Especially with a nice webpage like this on their site. http://www.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/
Do you think you're being a little biased and blinded here!

You may want to rethink your post to include nearly every electronics manufacturer that uses China to make their products for the cheapest price possible, in order to sell competitively around the globe.

You're delusional if you think this is about Apple... toss Samsung, LG, Toshiba and pretty much the rest into the basket. Did you already forget when the same thing was shown about Nike? Not much has really changed!

Exploiting poverty isn't new, nor is it exclusive to Apple, let alone China's massive poverty market.

China has the problem with population and poverty, most global companies are exploiting it. Maybe you should think about that a little broader next time you use your toaster, microwave, TV, radio, hair dryer, hair brush, toothbrush, drive your car and the list goes on and on.

As already mentioned, this issue at its broadest is affecting many countries industry, automotive and consumer electronics are big ones, because you, me and nearly everyone else, wants their goods cheap and affordable. If not, then sure, buy local made only and complain with legitimacy, not hypocrisy.

You may want to recheck where your computer parts are made that you're perpetuating this nonsense to begin with... China? Some slave labour shop where kids hands are crippled assembling some of your computer parts because you don't want to pay premium prices for local made goods where workers actually have rights?

People in glass houses should not throw stones IMHO to perpetuate nonsense media hype!

This thread is entirely about Apple.
The issue you bring up isn't limited to Apple though, and singling out one company about an issue that is present across several and ignoring the others doesn't make sense. If you're only trying to focus on Apple only and make it seem like Apple is the only one guilty, then this is nothing more than an anti-Apple thread.

If that's the point you want to get across, it's been made. :)

Additionally, dispite the bleatings of the Apple fanbois.. they fail to notice that it has been acknowledged in here many times that Apple is not the only culprit here.. but that they ARE the only ones who make hypocritical claims of being a big cuddly warm and fuzzy Think Different company.. when the reality is they are no better and probably worse than those other companies on humanitarian and exploitative practices.

Personally I don't own a smartphone of any kind, not for conscientious reasons, but because I don't need one... when I do, I will buy whatever suits me, but I would like to think that part of my purchase price will go towards decent and fair work place conditions for the poor *******s whose horrible job it is to work in a factory all day making the sodding things, to that end if I find a company that does genuinely do so, they will get my money.

Do you think you're being a little biased and blinded here!

You may want to rethink your post to include nearly every electronics manufacturer that uses China to make their products for the cheapest price possible, in order to sell competitively around the globe.

You're delusional if you think this is about Apple... toss Samsung, LG, Toshiba and pretty much the rest into the basket. Did you already forget when the same thing was shown about Nike? Not much has really changed!

Exploiting poverty isn't new, nor is it exclusive to Apple, let alone China's massive poverty market.

China has the problem with population and poverty, most global companies are exploiting it. Maybe you should think about that a little broader next time you use your toaster, microwave, TV, radio, hair dryer, hair brush, toothbrush, drive your car and the list goes on and on.

As already mentioned, this issue at its broadest is affecting many countries industry, automotive and consumer electronics are big ones, because you, me and nearly everyone else, wants their goods cheap and affordable. If not, then sure, buy local made only and complain with legitimacy, not hypocrisy.

You may want to recheck where your computer parts are made that you're perpetuating this nonsense to begin with... China? Some slave labour shop where kids hands are crippled assembling some of your computer parts because you don't want to pay premium prices for local made goods where workers actually have rights?

People in glass houses should not throw stones IMHO to perpetuate nonsense media hype!
This post is purely hypocritical, and I don't mean it as an attack, but I find many of the Apple fans here are completely biased and can see nothing good with a competing product.

Many of the people who do say things negative about Apple and their products can also point out things they like about them, but I almost never see someone who is diehard Apple say anything positive about a competing product.

And yes, I know Apple isn't the only company that does this. But that is no reason to downplay the issue either.

Apple is so bad for putting the iPhone together in another country..
.. and they created 0 jobs in California, nor are they the biggest tax payer there.

Apple Inc is so horrible and nobody buys it, there must be another reason why the stock price his 422 yesterday.

Of course Apple fans are biased. And us Apple fans also know what we don't like about Apple.

PS... Brogan or Dean or one of our beloved Admins, could you please please please edit the title for the grammatical error.

Driving me nuts :p

This post is purely hypocritical, and I don't mean it as an attack, but I find many of the Apple fans here are completely biased and can see nothing good with a competing product.
I wouldn't say I am an Apple fanboy... and I actually look openly at products. There are a lot of good things in the electronics market, preference based on use is more apt IMO.

At your age, I was still ignorant, so I'm unsure if having a conversation with youth about ignorance is productive or not, compared to when you hit 30's, 40's, 50's + and have more life experience.

I have used PC's my entire life, diminishing Apple products without even looking at them. Was I a PC fanboy? No, I was just ignorant.

When I took my biased attitude and shifted it aside for a moment, I found Apple products actually are quite superior for what I wanted and needed compared to what PC's were offering me. Vast difference if you want to talk about bias.

I would think you have enough commonsense to view things openly enough as an adult to see what you want, then purchase what you want, based on your circumstances. Some people don't go near Apple just because of price. Some buy Apple because they think its cool. Some buy some exorbitant PC for business and minor gaming use, way over and above what they need, just because they can.

Teenagers would love to have Apple because its cool to have Apple, apparently from our teenagers. However, they buy what is cheap, what they can afford, what other friends have due to peer pressure, so they try to be indifferent and fit in. Are they cheap fanboys? No... they just buy what they can afford and suits them based on age, income, needs, peer pressure, etc.

Me personally, I have all Apple now because Apple works better for me. I am not closed off to the world of competition like you portray... I use it because its the best product for my purpose, and when you put all Apple together, it works flawlessly. When you mix and match, crap happens and things go wrong, bugs, issues, crashes, etc.

I had an office full of PC's, cables, monitors on walls, blah blah blah... even though it was well installed and looked wonderful, it was total chaos when something in a machine died and needed replacing to the entire office setup. A simple iMac, everything built-in, has one power cord that's needed and no more... no mounts, no cables running under desks, na da... one system, it just works, its clean and clutterless opening up office space for more valuable purposes than computer storage. If I want a second screen, add one power cable... I don't even have to connect the screens with any cable, as you can use them wirelessly as dual monitors providing the screen has wireless connectivity. Welcome to Apple... a PC can't do that.

Fanboy? No... Commonsense? Absolutely.

The topic is about Apple, apparently only Apple, being nasty and exploiting workers to build their equipment. That is the moral of the story, correct me if wrong!

You can't isolate Apple if near every competitor is also doing the same thing, hence being my point. That is called ignorance, bias and well, lack of any commonsense. Again, the media did this with Nike because Nike was making excellent profits and selling competitively within the marketplace globally. Albeit, a little further digging, so were some of their competition, also using Chinese slave labour, otherwise they couldn't compete.

Offcourse Apple is going to under the microscope now as the #1 global public company... nothing the oil companies haven't been used to for decades now in that position.

So, for all you PC fanboys... please go take a look at your parts in your PC, then come back and report on where they're made, which factory they're made, and the conditions for workers in those factories, which will be located in China or other poverty stricken country where poverty is exploited within their labour market.

Do I care what China does with their workers conditions? Not really... that is their problem, not mine. What I'm not though, is hypocritical in being happy with my iPhone purchase, when someone with a Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, etc etc... sitting beside them, passes comment on an iPhone being made using slave labour, when your phone was made using the same slave labour... more than likely, a good majority of parts for all phones are made in the same slave labour factory in China... assembly may change location, though doubtful as a majority.

At your age, I was still ignorant, so I'm unsure if having a conversation with youth about ignorance is productive or not, compared to when you hit 30's, 40's, 50's + and have more life experience.
<snip.

LOL you didn't seriously just play the 'I'm older I must be wiser" card did you :p hehehe I think the days of patronising those younger than ourselves as being ignorant are long gone.. certainly in the Tech arena it would be rather foolish to make any such assumption.

Oh my goodness... the rest of your post is about stuff we are not even talking about, Not having a go at you Anthony, but no one cares how you justify your Apple Corp adoration frankly.. the discussion was specifically commenting on how workers making iPhones are being injured and suffering horrendous working conditions to do so. :p lol So if we could keep on topic that would be great.

I find it sad that you don't even care about those workers, but at least you are honest about it, although I note you did also bring out the "everyone else is doing it, so it must be OK, so you're no better, narrr naaarrr na na narrrr " argument along with Fred and ilk.

Unfortunately the majority of people in the Western world really don't give a crap, which is why it is allowed to happen. Yes other companies are doing it too, but they are less hypocritical about it, they don't make claims like Apple do, they are not smarmy hipsters who talk the talk but walk an entirely different walk.

Apple are a big (and yes easy) Target, but they are so for a reason, they have put themselves in this position.

PS... Brogan or Dean or one of our beloved Admins, could you please please please edit the title for the grammatical error.

Driving me nuts :p
Done..

As an aside, I really wish people did not get so excited with these types of threads (not referring to you, just the general aura of the thread).

Done..

As an aside, I really wish people did not get so excited with these types of threads (not referring to you, just the general aura of the thread).

Thanks Dean :love:

I for one will try not to get too excited in my future postings :)

Thanks Dean :love:

I for one will try not to get too excited in my future postings :)
lol.. I was trying to gently refer to the general vibe of the thread.. Seems anything to do with Apple or it's products causing great passion.

On a personal note, I am neutral on the topic, they are just tools - different answers for different people..

Here is my situation which makes me happy for the time being.. Huge PC laptop, New 13" MBP (saves a lot of time for me for various reasons), and audio only cell phone from Cingular circa 2004 (now ATT), I even have texting disabled cause I simply have no use for it...

EDIT: not shown is an original iPhone for testing my forums skin, it has a cracked screen but still works well enough. I do not have cell phone service for it, use it via wifi. Someone gave it to me for free..

DSC_1825.webp

LOL you didn't seriously just play the 'I'm older I must be wiser" card did you :p hehehe I think the days of patronising those younger than ourselves as being ignorant are long gone.. certainly in the Tech arena it would be rather foolish to make any such assumption.
I didn't say smarter... but sorry, youth and wisdom are not synonymous. Being smart with technology is far different from wisdom.

Vast difference IMHO.

Top Bottom