So you're thinking of buying an iPhone? Here's something to consider...

Great Read!

"Apple is committed to driving the highest standards of social responsibility throughout our supply chain," Dowling said. "We require that our suppliers provide safe working conditions, treat workers with dignity and respect and use environmentally responsible manufacturing processes wherever Apple products are made."

Start making your products in the USA then under properly regulated labor market laws.

I think the topic should be changed to: Thinking of buying *? Happens with pretty much every aspect of our lives around us, only the biggest of companies get noticed/caught.

Sure, buy American if you can but I don't see you getting far with that while living in America.

I read something a while back that said something to the effect of the iphone costing like 5 or 10 times less to manufacture over there than here...but after shipping, importing, blah blah basically they only make 20 dollars or so more per unit. I don't know the numbers or source behind it so don't quote me though.

I don't think your average "Apple fanatic" - Who loves they're Ipod, Ipad, Imac, icouldntgiveatoss is going to give two hoots about another persons joints in their fingers being crippled looking like pigs hooves. They love they're apple products far too much to care about insignificant things like bad working conditions. Wake up!!! Have you noticed the other apple threads in this area? Now don't tell me Steve Jobs didn't know anything about the terrible working conditions going on in (where was it it? yemen county - china?) I think this could be part of his legacy (sorry if this angers the apple brigade) but you take the rough with the smooth as far as I'm concerned. I'm surprised they haven't got overweight Russians overseeing the people from yemen county and cracking the whips replacing the fallen with other naive Yemen county folk and dumping them in a big hole deep in the foot hills of southern eastern china (far away from yemen county). Heck, we have our ipods, ipads, imacs. what do we care? we have our IO5s whatever it's called nowdays and our imessenger they can keep their cramped hands. I mean come on don't you think they're complaining over nothing?

Amazon are another company notoriously bad with regards to "alleged" poor working conditions only this time people are complaining about working in 120 degree heat without air conditioning and no doors or windows open. moaners. *cracks the whip*

it's very human for most people to "turn a blind eye". *waits for the next "I love my iphone 4s thread" to come*

edit: ps. I don't own an apple product so when i say "our" I actually mean "yours"

I knew things are bad, working conditions and all. but seriously do we really need the workers hand coming as an extra with the iphone?

iPhone hand case.webp

Sadly, this is not limited to iPhones, smartphones, or even electronics. It is the general working condition in China across all industries. In broader anthropological terms, its a right of passage from pre to post industrialization.

China is still a predominantly agricultural society, but they are growing and evolving as a society. The US went through this phase, as did every other post-industrial nation. Autoworkers in Detroit think they're exploited making only $80K a year because they envy their educated boss who makes much more. Thats BS. These are the true exploited workers of the world, exploited to our benefit. And where does this occur? In a communist workers' paradise!

This is why my Irish, coal mining descendants formed labor unions, for safe working conditions, not so that they would pay less in retirement contributions than private workers.

We, as in the post-industrial world, could help, but we don't. If we do, the price of our consumer goods go up. No, nothing is going to get better until those people can form their own union that doesn't have a yellow star in its logo, but thats not happening any time soon.

It will happen though. Freedom is the longing of the human heart and liberty is its birthright. Someday, when China reaches its full economic might, that oppressive government is going to be overthrown and then real change will begin.

But to point fingers at Jobs before he's even buried cheapens the problem. Your PC contributes to it, your shoes, your clothes, the internet you use, the television you watch, the ATM you withdraw money from. Don't use your own technology bigotry to hide from the shame we all share. No one's hands are clean.

I think it's awful and when reading stories like this, I make a point of not buying the companies product or service, full stop.

If everyone did the same, we wouldn't have this problem. (although in hindsight, I suspect those employees would be jobless as a result...sigh)

Unless you're planning to live in a cave and grow your own food, the only thing that boycotting a specific company like Apple does is make you an ignorant hypocrite. I've heard far worse stories about how workers are treated in the garment industries, and the petroleum industries, and in big agriculture, etc, etc....

I think it's awful and when reading stories like this, I make a point of not buying the companies product or service, full stop.

If everyone did the same, we wouldn't have this problem. (although in hindsight, I suspect those employees would be jobless as a result...sigh)
would you stop using the internet? The circuit boards in a Cisco router are made through the same process. Would you stop using your computer? Here's where Intel does their assembly:
  • Heredia, Costa Rica
  • Chengdu, China
  • Kulim, Malaysia
  • Penang, Malaysia
  • Saigon, Vietnam
This type of exploitation is systemic of the high tech industry, but isn't limited to it.

Unless you're planning to live in a cave and grow your own food, the only thing that boycotting a specific company like Apple does is make you an ignorant hypocrite. I've heard far worse stories about how workers are treated in the garment industries, and the petroleum industries, and in big agriculture, etc, etc....
Exactly. At the end of the day, people are willing to "boycott" only what they didn't want to begin with and turn a blind eye to those things they do want.

Exactly. At the end of the day, people are willing to "boycott" only what they didn't want to begin with and turn a blind eye to those things they do want.
I agree with everything you said above except I would add "a good amount to most" before people...but otherwise that is pretty accurate from what I have seen.

would you stop using the internet? The circuit boards in a Cisco router are made through the same process. Would you stop using your computer? Here's where Intel does their assembly:
  • Heredia, Costa Rica
  • Chengdu, China
  • Kulim, Malaysia
  • Penang, Malaysia
  • Saigon, Vietnam
This type of exploitation is systemic of the high tech industry, but isn't limited to it.

What do you reckon. Would you class this as part of Steve Jobs Legacy? Do you reckon he turned a blind eye to the poor working conditions? If i were a betting person, and I am. I'd say absolutely yes. He knew.

That said, Who knows' the mutilated hand that comes ans an extra with the *automated voice "iphone4"* would come in handy as a back scratcher Minus the decomposing. you know how difficult it is to get to those hard to reach places with the iphone? bloody difficult.

No one's hands are clean.

Well we know the workers aren't in china, they don' have any. :cry:

What do you reckon. Would you class this as part of Steve Jobs Legacy? Do you reckon he turned a blind eye to the poor working conditions? If i were a betting person, and I am. I'd say absolutely yes. He knew.

That said, Who knows' the mutilated hand that comes ans an extra with the *automated voice "iphone4"* would come in handy as a back scratcher Minus the decomposing. you know how difficult it is to get to those hard to reach places with the iphone? bloody difficult.
Any why seest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye; and seest not the beam that is in thy own eye?

Any why seest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye; and seest not the beam that is in thy own eye?

Oh I'm not having a go. I'm with you. If i knew your got a free hand with the iphone i would have retained my title as "apple fanatic". First chance i get, i'm buying but in all honesty, i think he knew, i think you know he knew. Partially his legacy in my opinion at the very least. That's innovation exploit your workforce. Classic.

ihand_animated.gif
ihand - it waves.​

Everyone in high tech knows where are components are created and assembled and the nearly torturous environment in which they are created.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/04/14/microsoft.mice.made.in.poor.work.conditions/

Good news? Change is coming:
http://www.androidpit.com/en/androi...conn-Adds-One-Million-Robots-to-Assembly-Line

The original post was about Foxconn. Oh, bad, they make iPhones. Evil. Yes?

No. Foxconn is the largest private employer in China and produces 40% of the $150 billion consumer-electonics industry worldwide.

So look around. Every one of us is awash in a sea of hands, to borrow your metaphor. Pointing out only one based on out our technology bias as though it is the source is hypocrisy.

Everyone in high tech knows where are components are created and assembled and the nearly torturous environment in which they are created.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/04/14/microsoft.mice.made.in.poor.work.conditions/

Good news? Change is coming:
http://www.androidpit.com/en/androi...conn-Adds-One-Million-Robots-to-Assembly-Line

The original post was about Foxconn. Oh, bad, they make iPhones. Evil. Yes?

No. Foxconn is the largest private employer in China and produces 40% of the $150 billion consumer-electonics industry worldwide.

So look around. Every one of us is awash in a sea of hands, to borrow your metaphor. Pointing out only one based on out our technology bias as though it is the source is hypocrisy.

I'd give you the thumbsup but you know, shortage of workers on apples part and (yeah you guessed) the iphone self destructed, blew my hands off into a cardboard box and currently in transit to apple HQ. *finishes typing with feet* two feetup.

ihand_animated.gif
ihand - it moves.​

Top Bottom