So with Mandrill going premium, what are some alternatives?

Which is an article written by Sparkpost... Really?
If you can get statistics from another source would be much better to have a neutral comparison :)
I know, That's why I don't really believe it. I'm using SendGrid (y)
I was thinking the same. If someone has stats from a neutral source it would be nice.

Pepipost - Free SMTP alternative to Mandrill

http://www.pepipost.com/

- Free plan and send up to 25,000 emails each month. Free forever.
- No credit card required.
- DKIM is not required (Domain Verification: (a.) Meta Tag Validation, (b.) File Creation - System can verify the domain based on the presence of a file in the root directory of the domain.).
- Pay only for emails that are not opened by your customers.

* 3 Months Free Unlimited Transactional Emails + 25k emails per month free forever.
* Use the below code while signup with Pepipost.

Code:
MANDRILL-TO-PEPI

Great! This is probably the best FREE alternative for Mandrill.

- DKIM is not required

Same with Sparkpost, HOWEVER, it is recommended for best delivery to have this. (Along with abuse@ and postmaster@ being valid email addresses) It seems to me that lately this stuff is becoming more important as ISPs are toughening up against spammers.

Yeah, don't do that. Just use domain.com and then it'll ask you to verify by sending an email to postmaster@domain.com or abuse@domain.com, I had to create this email account.

I put in my domain, created those two emails and all went through with no problems. Not sure why it's not working for you.

All sorted now, Sparkpost looks good so far.

Same with Sparkpost, HOWEVER, it is recommended for best delivery to have this. (Along with abuse@ and postmaster@ being valid email addresses) It seems to me that lately this stuff is becoming more important as ISPs are toughening up against spammers.
Hmmm.. wonder if it could be because of RFC 2142 - which has been around since 1997.
While not required - it's highly recommended that you have those email addresses availalable.
SPF/DKIM/DMARC is playing higher importance now in mail delivery also.

Last edited:
So played around with sendgrid today, meh, can't say I'm in love with it. I do like the templating engine they have. Things I don't like is the strange subdomain setup for whitelisting your domain (why oh why), more importantly they don't record email content like Mandrill so you can't sample outbound emails which I do on occasion to sniff out issues and the odd spammer. Also their stats are way behind and not even close to real-time.

Onto the next candidate.

more importantly they don't record email content like Mandrill so you can't sample outbound emails which I do on occasion to sniff out issues and the odd spammer.
You have the option to BCC every email that is sent.

Trying to see how much a Sparkpost addon for xF is going to be so it connect completely over the API.

Sparkpost seems to be one of the best ones in terms of pricing right now in the market.

If someone knows of one better that isn't amazon ses let me know.

So there's still no like for like alternative?

What is everyone doing as far as bounce backs if there's no forward options?

OK, so after trying all the services mentioned in this thread, I've received the best deliverability with SendGrid (by a factor of 3). I sent a newsletter to 15K emails (no bounce/failed domain - clean emails after major (semi-manual) filtering).

I send my newsletters with www.Sendy.Co and I check them with http://www.mail-tester.com/

Basically what increased my results by a huge factors was setting up SPF record. When I purchased a dedicated IP, it was a completely different story. I usually got 15-20% open emails, and with a dedicated IP I reached almost 70%, which is insane (same list, same emails, same newsletter structure/code).
Although Amazon SES is very cheap, most of my emails through them went into people's SPAM inbox, so I would not recommend them by any means.

Top Bottom