So Whats the latest

DieselMinded

i have exited my non compete clause with internet brands (vBulletin) from the sale of www.dieselbombers.com , i have purchased a new domain name and im currently looking to purchase a new forum license. i have tried xenforo (too many false new member accounts) invision power boards (too many hackers) and currently admin a vb4 board. i still prefer vB3.- over anything due to simplicity/functionality.

Ive been out of the loop for a long time and im one of the original members here, so tell me why should i buy xenforo over anyone else?

Welcome back.

Looks like the last version of XenForo you used would have been around XenForo 1.0 or XenForo 1.1 so certainly a lot has changed since then.

In terms of one of your previous concerns, assuming you meant you had a problem with spam accounts, this problem, naturally, will never go away and is not unique to any particular forum software.

However, XenForo now has a wider array of tools to manage such things. XenForo is now better at catching spammers, and it's as easy as ever to clean up after them. You can see more details about that, here:

https://xenforo.com/help/spam/

For a general overview of what has changed since version 1.1 then, check:

XenForo 1.2: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-2-0-released.55982/
XenForo 1.3: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-3-0-released.70210/
XenForo 1.4: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-4-0-released.82699/
XenForo 1.5: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-5-0-released.103412/

That should bring you up to speed on what's changed since you last used XenForo.

In terms of why XenForo is better than 'software X' that's a sort of impossible question to answer. There are plenty of people who have genuine reasons to prefer 'software X' over XenForo, and likewise there are plenty of people who have genuine reasons to prefer XenForo over 'software X'.

The thing to do is establish yourself what is important for you in forum software and which software meets your requirements. If you're able to explain what features you need, I can talk more about that specifically.

wow thanks for the information!

you are correct i had a forum on the first xenforo royal4x4.com i was not active and it got over ran with spam accounts. this did put a bad taste in my mouth towards the software even tho it was my own neglect .

i also was the one who provided an established invison power boards database so xenforo developers could make a proper importer it was truckpullers.com now defunct as well due to lost of interest and server issues.

my sucessful site was on vb3 i had over 1000 addons from the vb community this made making the site a hobby and was really enjoyable making the changes and seeing things happen. will i only be able to get this with vbulletin software?

also vbulletin wants more $ and apple/andriod dev account in order to use their mobile versions, mobile is a huge deal with me so complete integration would be key

the community i am starting will be to unite like minded individuals across america with individual forums for each state and global forums for generalized discussions.

i will do google ad rev share with admin and pay for site costs with paid memberships and sponsors so ill need to be able to rotate banners and be able to have member levels like premiums and sponsors with different forum permissions

on my old site with all the mods it would take me days to update the site so i would like to be able to upgrade a fully modified forums core software version with out conflicts ...

also do i have to completely start over as a new member or can i take over my old accout and get an upgrade discount?

logo.png

Menu
Your Licenses

Last edited:
Your license doesn't expire, just access to versions after your year was up until you 'purchase extra/extensions' which I believe is $40 per year. Try to purchase extension and see what happens.

it let me add the 1 year extention for $40 but wouldnt i have to buy like 3 of them lol

i have deleted the old site i want the newest version of xenforo and the gallery how can i upgrade my old licence insted of buying a new one

you are correct i had a forum on the first xenforo royal4x4.com i was not active and it got over ran with spam accounts. this did put a bad taste in my mouth towards the software even tho it was my own neglect .

It was either 1.3 or 1.4 that added honeypots. But this filters out 99 to 100% of the automated spam I have encountered. In fact I see no reason for captcha's to exist at this point. Back on vBulletin if we disabled the captcha we would get dozens of bot registrations per hour.

However there is a lot of human generated spam coming out of Pakistan and India both directly and through VPN's. We use this plugin to prevent that https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tpu-detect-and-block-spam-registrations.2973/ I have had 1 spam registration in the last 6 months. But we are also able to afford blocking the 2 indian and 2 pakistani ISP's as well as datacenters hosting custom VPN solutions. Not every site can. But remember these are humans, no bot methods work. Confusing english Q&A's can but that pisses off real users too.

it let me add the 1 year extention for $40 but wouldnt i have to buy like 3 of them lol

i have deleted the old site i want the newest version of xenforo and the gallery how can i upgrade my old licence insted of buying a new one
License renewals are only for a year and always work in your favor. As your license is expired, the $40 starts a year of upgrades and support from today (if you purchased it today). It will not start your year from the date your license expired, thus, making your license still expired.

Purchasing it today gives you access to every version released from the beginning until a year from today (if you purchased today).

Should i get a Linux or Windows server?
Are you renting shared hosting or a VPS or full blown dedicated? The answer is mostly going to boil down to Linux. You don't have a need for Windows centric support such as ASP, etc.

If it's shared hosting then Linux. If its a VPS or dedicated you probably have a choice here because you can run Apache/PHP on windows, etc. Im guessing since you are asking the question you aren't looking to do management yourself?

Top Bottom