1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I guess Post Icons are officially dead?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by BirdOPrey5, Jul 30, 2010.

1. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

'Tis a shame.... I will miss them.
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I hated them, they served no real purpose apart from expression of the post, and just an icon which looked the same.
    It's good to see different icons beside threads.
    AlexandrosD and Eric J. like this.
  3. Eric J.

Eric J. Well-Known Member

This 100%
  4. Freddie

Freddie Active Member

Does anyone actually look at the post icon assigned to a thread? I think the only one that I ever notice is the poll icon.

UBB had post icons, so vB had post icons. Post icons are dead.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Yes. Before thread prefixes were the hot new rage (sarcasm there, mind you) I know of a number of sites that used thread icons to designate the topic matter. For example, on a Jeep site icons could be used to designate the Jeep model in question that the tread pertains to. On a sci-fi site a thread icon might be used for Star Trek versus Star Wars, etcetera.

There is a very old saying about opinions & everybody having one...
  6. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

The only part I'm interested is a visual notification of threads you participated, into each thread line.
    Xen will have that feature. :)
    Eriksrocks likes this.
  7. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is something I miss now in XenForo.
  8. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I think that wouldn't be too difficult to put in and just have a small icon on the right of the thread title (where the redirect, locked, and pinned topic icons appear) I think.
  9. Didzi

Didzi Active Member

I think most of the time only a few icons were ever chosen anyway and I feel its just one less thing to load when viewing pages, which in my eyes is a good thing.
  10. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

IMO, they only add more useless clutter to the display.
  11. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Member

RIP Post icons. ;)
  12. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Never picked one anywhere ever.
  13. Sonic2k

Sonic2k Member

Ok the icons aren`t important, but I don`t see why the avatar should be interesting for anyone. To much attention for the topic starter instead of the topic itself.
  14. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

I like the avatar as no other forum solution does it. It's different and it allows you to easily identify who started the thread. I don't feel it takes away attention from the topic, itself.
    gordy likes this.
  15. Sonic2k

Sonic2k Member

Different doesn`t means always better :p
  16. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

I can see my users raising a stink about it, especially on mobile devices. I'd rather see it as an option I can turn off.
  17. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I suppose you could easily remove or replace it from the page template.
  18. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

It looks very nice in my eyes but I frequently find myself thinking it's the person who made the thread active again, i.e. posted last.
  19. Eric J.

Eric J. Well-Known Member

It's always an option to just add it in yourself.
  20. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Meh. Getting tired of modifying templates and core files to make things right.
    dieketzer likes this.